New ceiling light wiring questions

Old 01-22-15, 07:57 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New ceiling light wiring questions

Question n concern fr yall. I'm in the process of installing two new ceiling lamps in a new location. I want it connected to the same switch as an existing ceiling light. So I went in attic found the romex connecting the the existing switch-to-light and cut it in the middle of the run. I installed a junction box and connected new romex to the two new ends i created. So I have thee 3-wire connections in the box. I ran the new strand of romex 15 ft or so n then installed another junction box. At that box i connected the two new runs which will separately feed the new lamps. Since I ran out of time and needed to cut holes in the ceiling for the new lamp i just put electrical tape over the two stubs of romex n left it. I'm pretty thorough n such so I'm confident that my connections r good bt by no means am i even an amateur electrician, bt im a diy-er. So I turned on the switch that ran to the existing ceiling light and it went on. After 10 minutes or so the light went off. I turned it back on and it went on. Now I'm concerned and haven't turned it one since. Is the problem that I have two runs of romex stubbed off or do i likely have a bad connection somewhere? Thanks fr reading this far

Old 01-22-15, 09:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,152 Upvotes on 3,729 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

It would appear that you have a problem with your splices in your new junction box. Not off to a very good start. The two stubs of wiring would not cause that problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: