Relay needed for lighting project

Old 02-01-15, 01:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Relay needed for lighting project

Hello everyone.

I am new here and my name is Bryan. I am not sure if I am in the right area or not but I thought this would be the place. I am doing a custom project that requires a relay. I am having trouble finding one that will work.. Heres the specs.

I have 3 8ft long fluorescent light fixtures that are controlled by one wall switch. I have a electronic device that sends out 12v dc (can be 5vdc) that would control the coil of the relay. I need the relay to control the light fixtures. So If my math is correct. I am guessing these fixtures to be pulling 5-7 amps max at 120v AC. I found this relay on ebay, but its a solid state and they don't say if its normally open or closed. And if it would be safe or not to run my light fixtures.

ebay item number 181631921667

The way this is supposed to work it like this. My device will randomly send power to the coil of the relay (which should be normally closed) opening the contact to turn off power to the light fixtures. This way I am giving the impression that I am home when I am not. I know there are some things out there that control a small lamp. I am not interested in that. Bottom line, I need to be able to control the fluorescent light fixtures by way of relay at the wall switch.

Any one out there can point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance!

Bryan

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-15, 01:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 297 Votes on 271 Posts
It sounds like you know what you need so I'm not sure what you need help with. What you want to do is easy for a relay like you mentioned. I just think you need to look as sources other than Ebay.

Have you looked at X10 or other home automation products?

Old 02-01-15, 02:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 475 Votes on 445 Posts
What if the lights are turned off. Wouldn't you need to turn them on ?
I couldn't see the item you were referring to but electronic relays would be normally open.

Here's a relay that's double throw. That means it has a normally open and a normally closed contact so you could choose the one you need.

On ebay.....
Relay 12V 10A | eBay
DC12V Coil DPDT Electromagnetic Power Relay 10A w Socket | eBay

On amazon......
Amazon: 12V DC Coil Power Relay DPDT LY2NJ HH62P-L JQX-13F 10A With PTF08A Socket Base

Old 02-01-15, 02:51 PM
Received 21 Votes on 21 Posts
Are these ballasts electronic? If not the relay should be capable of handling an inductive load.
Just a thought
Geo

Old 02-01-15, 03:33 PM
Hi PJmax,

Thank you for your response. I am not sure why the ebay listing isn't showing, but I just typed the number into ebay and it came right up.

As for the 2 you showed me, do you think they will be strong enough to control 120vac? Is there any other issue that I need to cover when looking for a relay? I just don't want to cause a fire. That's all.

As for the lights turning on and off, I can bypass the device that controls the relay when ever I need.

Thanks for your help.

Bryan

Old 02-01-15, 03:36 PM
Not sure if they are or not. I had them installed in the past 3 years from Lowes.

Bryan

Old 02-01-15, 04:10 PM
Group Moderator
Use a relay with a socket. When the relay goes bad you unplug it and plug in a new one.
As long as circuit is protected by the proper size circuit breaker then there is almost no chance of fire.

Old 02-01-15, 05:05 PM
Are you saying the current breaker in the back room is good enough or should I upgrade it to a different one?

Bryan

Old 02-01-15, 06:29 PM
Group Moderator
A correctly sized breaker is all that's needed to protect the circuit.

Old 02-07-15, 06:37 PM
Why not use a programmable timer?
Some of them have a lot of on/off settings available so you could vary when your lights switch so as not to have them going on and off in a pattern.
http://www.amazon.ca/Honeywell-Ti033...productDetails