Feedback on two ceiling fan installation

Old 02-01-15, 06:19 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Feedback on two ceiling fan installation

House has two wires sticking out of ceiling for fans, a double switch that is hooked up as shown on diagram, across the room is a single switch. The single switch just had two black wires sticking out of box. From what I gather from this set up, one switch by the double switch goes to fan and the other to the lights of the fan to be?, the single switch just controls the light?

I need to purchase 2 ceiling fans and want to make sure that I get the right ones for this set up. The fans are on a vaulted ceiling and not easy to access so the idea of being able to control the 2 fans with a remote ie reverse sounds good but I like the idea of a wall switch as it is there to fall back on in the event the remote goes. (although I know it won't control speed etc.)

Is there anything I should be looking for or avoiding with this set up?

thanks for your time..

Attached Images  
Old 02-01-15, 06:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,138 Upvotes on 3,716 Posts
Have you actually confirmed your theory on wiring method ?

When I see two cables at C..... I think of two wire in at C and a two wire jumper to B. Both fans are wired to do the same thing. Lights and fans are not separate.

Old 02-01-15, 10:17 PM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Nothing is confirmed, I don't have the fans yet, wires are just as electrician left them...
I am not sure I understand what you are saying? So are you saying that when the ceiling fans are attached, the light will be coming on with the fan? Why would there then be a double switch? I just assumed the single switch controlled the light on the fans as when you enter the room from that side, there is no other light source?

Old 02-01-15, 10:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,138 Upvotes on 3,716 Posts
I know nothing about your wiring but as an electrician I would have run a three wire cable to each location or since it's a common ceiling... one cable to the first light and a jumper to the second. You have one cable at one location and two cables at the second location.

Old 02-02-15, 03:39 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Just throwing it out there for discussion.....it looks as if A controls C and D controls B, from the wiring, and only one of the fans has the capacity of separate fan/light control, where the other only has a single power control. As Pete mentioned, a 14-3 would be necessary from D to B in order to separately control a fan/light. If that is not possible, then you will need to rely on the remote for the fan/light operation and only use the wall switch as a dead point to turn it all on and off.

Old 02-02-15, 06:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 206 Upvotes on 179 Posts
Perhaps one switch in the double box controls one fan while the other switch controls the second fan. You are going to need a second set of hands to figure out the switching along with a meter.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: