Outdoor Can Light Cover - Protect Cree LED Bulb

Old 02-02-15, 06:57 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Outdoor Can Light Cover - Protect Cree LED Bulb

All,

Please, I need guidance, new to the forum, new to house ownership, not so so new to DIY.

I have outdoor up and down lights on the side of my home. Imagine a cylinder with two sockets inside, one light up, one light down. 24' high, so I don't like climbing up there often....

Replaced every bulb with the 90W Cree LED Indoor/Outdoor Wet Rated bulbs, 15 bucks each, and I come home last night and see that one of the "uplights" failed.

What i think I need is a cover for the upper side of the can light. I can't find it online, anything close even.

I was hoping for a circular piece of glass/plexiglass that acts like a cap, maybe with three screws in it to tighten it to the top of the can light?

Does something like this exists, or, was it just a dud LED light and I should swap it out and see what happens.

So much for the 10 year warranty.....

Name:  progress-polymeric-cylinders.jpg
Views: 877
Size:  33.0 KB

Old 02-02-15, 09:17 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,256 Upvotes on 2,009 Posts
If your light bulb has a warranty I would return it for another. LEDs and compact fluorescent lights list really high life expectancy numbers but I've not seen it and I've had many fail after a short while even in protected locations so I not convinced a cover will solve the problem.

Old 02-02-15, 11:44 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yeah, the bulbs are not getting better.
This is going to be tough because your lights are so high and the socket is hard to get at, but:

Look inside the tube and see if bottom contact of socket has a solid tip at base or a little tab coming off one side. These tabs sometimes need pried up a little to ensure contact with bulb base.

They're making these sockets cheaper all the time and this is a common cause of a bulb not lighting. I threw away a few bulbs before I caught on to this.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: