Turkish Mosaic Lamp in USA

Old 02-02-15, 10:33 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Turkish Mosaic Lamp in USA

I brought a lamp from Turkey, like this: Mosaic Lamps | Ottoman Lamps | Turkish Lighting Manufacturer|Mosaic Chandelier
The shopowner said he changed the sockets to US style bulbs. I checked and small size bulbs fit the chandelier.
I tried to light the chandelier but it does not light.
What can possibly go wrong? We love the lamp and any help you can provide to light it would be appreciated.
Thanks
AJ

Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-15, 10:49 AM
Received 136 Votes on 124 Posts
I assume the plug is US configuration (you can wire a plug to it temporarily). If you have a meter I would try checking the bulb sockets to see if they are getting current. This may be a stupid question but do the bulbs work using another lamp?

Very carefully touch the center terminal with one probe and the other to the threaded side of socket. Set meter to 150 volts AC.

Another test (without plugging in the lamp) would be to short out (connect) the two male plug ends with a piece of wire and then use the meter to do a continuity test. Set meter to OHMS

Either test will tell you if you have a break in the cord and wires to each light.

Old 02-03-15, 06:04 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Norm201 - Thank you.
I will try this over weekend and report back.

Old 02-03-15, 06:22 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 353 Votes on 324 Posts
It would not hurt to give the electrical connections inside the lamp a look over. I've had trouble before with connections not what we'd consider proper and sometimes using really old or used parts so I just buy them as is and convert them when I get home. The good thing is that none of it is complicated and the electrical parts are inexpensive if you do need to rewire it.