What could beep other than a smoke alarm????

Old 02-02-15, 03:05 PM
H
Received 8 Upvotes on 7 Posts
What could beep other than a smoke alarm????

I went into a condo today where we thought a smoke was beeping every 40-45 seconds. The woman's son had replaced batteries to no avail. He unplugged the hard wiring and removed both smokes. The beeping continues. It sounds like it is coming from the ceiling electrical box where one of the smokes was mounted. We checked the condo above this one, thinking the sound might be from there. It was not. This is one of the strangest things I have ever seen. This unit was built in 1985 so there is only one smoke on each level and they are hard wired and interwired.

Old 02-02-15, 06:09 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
My story about chasing beeping sounds with bad ears is too long, but I can laugh now. Closing doors and waiting for the beep can start the isolating process, which you may have already achieved. Toys, emergency exit lights, clocks, and basically anything with a battery.

With just 45 seconds between beeps, you could roll up some paper like a megaphone and listen in different directions as it beeps. Again that is point you towards the source. Check the couch for a toy under the cushions and remove everything that is plugged in with a possible battery inside.

Bud

Old 02-02-15, 08:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,152 Upvotes on 3,729 Posts
Check behind couches and furniture for plug-in-the-wall CO detectors.

I run into this problem ALL the time.

Old 02-02-15, 08:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,977 Upvotes on 1,772 Posts
Wireless security system sensors (glass breaks) are another possibility.

Old 02-02-15, 10:39 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Breaker box is the unit?
If so start tripping them one at a time.
Any idea if this place has been remodeled?
Reason I ask is one time I found where someone lower the ceiling, but left the old smoke detector on the old ceiling.

Old 02-03-15, 06:51 AM
H
Thanks to you all

As usual on this forum, I get some outside the box thinking. The elec panel is inside this unit. The smokes are not on a dedicated circuit. The owner is about 85 and son around 50, so toys are not the issue, but the place is overloaded with stuff. Every square inch of horizontal space is occupied. Tripping breakers @ one per minute might yield a clue. I don't think the place has been remodeled, but I think downstairs wall drywall was replaced following our 2013 flood. I am 70 with hearing aids so I can relate to one you responders, but the owners and I are certain the sound if from upstairs. I'll post back if I ever solve this one.

Old 02-03-15, 01:06 PM
H
Found It

CO alarm hidden behind a couch. CO ok, detector faulty.

Old 02-03-15, 06:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,152 Upvotes on 3,729 Posts
Ah.... yes. Can't tell you how many calls I had where I found "hidden" detectors behind furniture.

Old 02-04-15, 08:52 AM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
A couple of months ago my Internet service died. To shorten the story it was the ONT (Optical Network Terminal) that kicked the bucket and replacement included a new battery back-up unit. Unfortunately it did not include a new battery so the technician used my old battery from the original unit, a battery several years old.

Last month I was in the garage when I heard a single beep. I wondered what it was and it reoccurred every other minute or so. Looking around I found the self test (every thirty days) function of the back-up battery had been run and stated the battery needed replacement. Since then I have had a complete power outage of several hours when the battery went dead but after the power returned the unit now has no warning lights. I suspect that after the next self test (should be occurring soon) it will again start alarming that the battery needs replacement.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: