Custom fluorescent lighting fixture

Old 02-05-15, 12:19 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Custom fluorescent lighting fixture

Hi,

I am a filmmaker and have always loved the look of fluorescent lighting. I am trying to create a custom lighting fixture for my home and have some questions about wiring and how to get around having to use tombstones and loads of wire. Here is an example of something I would want to create.

Name:  Herbert-Mason-Reuben-Hills-Café-on-flodeau.com-6.jpg
Views: 586
Size:  4.3 KB

I am looking for ways to have the black end caps and minimize the connected wiring. After extensive looking around the internet, there is just no information on how to do this anywhere. Any ideas or help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 02-05-15, 12:37 PM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
What are those lamps mounted on, is there space above?
Geo

Old 02-05-15, 01:19 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,310 Upvotes on 2,055 Posts
Try searching online for waterproof end caps for fluorescent bubs.

Old 02-05-15, 04:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,144 Upvotes on 3,722 Posts
Hey Snake...... I thought you were dead.

That is pretty wild. It looks like they are feeding the tubes from just one end and that may mean they are using a high voltage transformer, like a neon sign transformer, to run them.

It is also possible that they have glued wiring to the back of the tube. You're going to have to think outside of the box for a custom light fixture like that. That would appear to be a one-of-a-kind light fixture and as such was probably custom built from parts the designer found.... not necessarily lighting parts.

Like the end caps....

Name:  caps.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  3.6 KB

Your picture was taken in a cafe in Australia. They have a number of unique lighting fixtures there. The site below is actually a french designers blog site. He's been to some awesome locations.
A possible email to the cafe may connect you with the fixture artist or company.
Herbert Mason : Reuben Hills Café | FLODEAU

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: