Electrical advice for a new project ?

Old 02-11-15, 10:00 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Electrical advice for a new project ?

Hi,
Like I said in the title I don't know what I'm doing so sorry if the questions are stupid or if it's not even possible, anything electrical is not my forte.
I built a custom bed from for my kids and I'd like to add some cool stuff like usb charger and strip lights with a switch in the bed frame. I don't know if it's even possible but ultimately I'd like to have something that I can embed in the frame and plug to the wall. I went to homedepot, my only source of knowledge and they were not really helpful telling me it's not possible because it's too dangerous. I'd like to have your advice or input on that if you don't mind. Can I build like a box with usb plugins, a light switch and potentially an outlet on the bed frame and how would I go to do that?
Thanks for your help.

Old 02-11-15, 10:08 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,273 Upvotes on 1,213 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I'm envisioning under cabinet rope LEDs for the lights. I would not put an actual electrical receptacle or USB charger in the bed frame.

Hang tight and we'll see what other opinions chime in.

Old 02-11-15, 12:03 PM
I don't see that as dangerous. I have a bed with 2 tower cabinets and a middle headboard/bookcase section.
It has a telephone jack, receptacle, rotary dimmer and lights above. These are all fed by a standard grounded cord and plug.
You would need some electrical experience though to ensure it's safe and tamper proof.

Old 02-12-15, 12:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,046 Upvotes on 3,630 Posts
USB charger ports would be fine. They are protected from shorts and pretty harmless to curious fingers but definitely no 120v receptacles.

There are MANY types and sources of LED lighting. Many LED strips come with variable color controls and pattern controllers..... very cool !

Can you post a picture or two of the bed. I'd like to see it and it will also help us to see what you could use. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...rt-images.html

Old 02-18-15, 02:14 PM
S
I got an idea.

For the USB part, maybe you could make something out of a panel mounted USB extension cable. The type used in dashboards, panels, flight decks etc.
Like this one: USB M F in Car Dash Mounting Panel Installation Aux Extension Adapter Cable Lead | eBay

Mounted on a suitable place on the bed frame. Simply using a USB hub if you want to split the power between multiple USB outlets on the bed.
And then you could simply power it with a standard 5V USB charger for cell phones or tablets in the other end by the wall outlet. Introducing no dangerous voltages to the bed (in a steel bed for example). The charger can also power USB LED lights if you can find one.

Edit: Other cool stuff I can think of is taking it further. If there is a TV, gaming console etc. in the room with a USB port for memory sticks, you could extend it to the USB ports on the bed frame. So that you can use another USB outlet for connecting memory sticks or game controllers to the unit from bed.

Edvard
Electrician

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: