Need help with a screw-up

Old 02-16-15, 04:22 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need help with a screw-up

I bought what I thought was a chandelier from a fast trac auction for my daughter's room. It turned out to be a chandelier light fixture for a ceiling fan. There has to be a way to hang it as a traditional chandelier. Does anyone have any ideas??? I've attached the item I purchased if that helps.Name:  19775.jpg
Views: 937
Size:  24.2 KB

The thing at the top is the "light switch housing" which attaches to the bottom of the ceiling fan or so I was told by the manufacturer.

Old 02-16-15, 08:44 PM
This is going to be very difficult.
I don't believe this was intended as a fan light kit or a ceiling fixture.
If you look into the top, do many small wires come through the center threaded rod, or just one lamp cord?

You might have to mount it like a swag lamp. Chain will suspend fixture to ceiling box, with lamp cord threaded through chain.
You will need a few special fittings that are readily available, but it would help to see a picture of the inside top canopy first.

Old 02-20-15, 07:47 AM
A
Received 294 Upvotes on 269 Posts
Is that thing supposed to mount directly on the ceiling?

You cannot put it on the ceiling unless (one of):

1. You have a horizontal flush mounting strip that has tabs or other exposed means extending out beyond the diameter of the top cap (canopy; (added later) bell) that you can insert screws into and wield your screwdriver, OR,
2. You can disassemble the fixture into pieces that fit one atop the next on a vertical pipe extending down from the ceiling; you install the vertical pipe in the ceiling outlet box first and screw on a finial at the very bottom of the stack of pieces last, OR,
3, You have an access panel in the floor above and from there you pull the whole fixture up into position and fasten it in place.

Example of #2 (not yours) exemplifying assembly of stacked components: You hook up the wires and then mount the metal "can" of a ceiling fixture on the ceiling using two screws that engage a metal strip across the mouth of the ceiling outlet box. You screw a threaded nipple (thin pipe) into the center of the metal "can." You screw in the light bulbs and then fit the glass bowl cover under the can with the nipple coming through the little hole in the bottom of the bowl. You screw the finial onto the exposed end of the nipple to hold the glass bowl in place.

Old 02-20-15, 07:50 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Can you post a picture taken from above the bell? We need to see the guts.

Old 02-20-15, 07:56 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Buy the matching fan section from the manufacturer & install the entire fixture.

Old 02-20-15, 08:21 AM
A
Received 294 Upvotes on 269 Posts
Buy the matching fan section from the manufacturer & install the entire fixture.
Example of light unit for a ceiling fan mounted on ceiling "sans" fan using method #2 preceding:

Components, from top to bottom:

1. 15" decorative ceiling medallion (sold separately)
2. Canopy (sold separately)
3. Upper half of fan light unit with the three light branches and also a twist knob switch.
4. Non-decorative finial on nipple inside to hold the preceding together.
5. Lower half of fan light unit fastened with exposed side screws.

II. By definition a chandelier hangs on a chain or cord. If you mount it this way (see post #2) you don't have to disassemble the fixture or reach through from the floor above to mount it.

III. Do you have enough headroom to hang your fixture? Dining rooms can often accommodate low hanging chandeliers or ceiling fans because a table is always underneath.

Attached Images  

Last edited by AllanJ; 02-20-15 at 08:48 AM.
Old 02-20-15, 08:26 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I don't know what you are trying to say. What does that have to do with my post?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: