Wiring basement for finishing

Old 02-17-15, 06:38 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wiring basement for finishing

Name:  FullSizeRender (2).jpg
Views: 2857
Size:  19.4 KBAttachment 46677I'm finishing the basement and need confirmation that my wiring diagram is correct (although the drawing is basic).
One circuit, 20amp, and all having dimmers except bathroom. Using combination of pot lights and pendants.
Any advise (not on my drawing skills) on the diagram would be appreciated...Thanks in advance!

DBAttachment 46675

Old 02-17-15, 07:04 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Welcome to the forums! From what load I see in lighting, it can be handled on a 20 amp circuit. However, you must run 12 gauge wiring. I would split the lighting to main room lighting and bathroom lighting/fan on two 15 amp circuits, using 14 gauge wiring. You will need to run a dedicated 20 amp circuit to the bathroom for the receptacle(s) and protect them with GFCI. I would also run another 20 amp circuit for receptacles around the room. Your up flush toilet may require a dedicated circuit, since it cannot be run off the GFCI circuit for the receptacles.

Old 02-17-15, 10:48 AM
F
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your input, I appreciate it. Couple questions and points...Even though our county does not require inspections for a project like this, I'd like to do the job correctly.

I don't plan on having any receptacles in bath. I don't really foresee a future need. Are they generally required by code? The tank and outlet for the upflush will sit in utility area to the right of bath, which I planned on being GFCI. If I do a separate 15 amp GFCI for the toilet and another 15 amp for a light/fan combo in bath, it seems like overkill if I don't have any outlets planned on the light/fan combo. Would it be ok to increase the lighting circuit to 20 amp and include the light/fan combo with the main? That would encompass all lighting fixtures on one 20 amp, one 15 amp GFCI for upflush, and then also I planned on one 15 amp GFCI for fridge, 2 separate 20 amp breakers for outlets (one regular/one GFCI for bar counter)

In order to send the main room wiring in separate directions above the panel on the right, all I need is a junction box above, correct?

Thanks so much for your help and suggestions,
DB

Old 02-17-15, 12:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
OK. Code requires the receptacle in the bathroom, so don't skimp on a $12 item, and it must be dedicated. You can combine the lighting and GFCI receptacle in the bathroom on one circuit, but can't put the upflush GFCI on that circuit. So two circuits will be required anyway. It will allow you to use a 15 amp circuit for general lighting. If you junction any wiring, the junction box must be covered and always remain accessible. Your refrigerator may require a 20 amp circuit depending on its size.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: