LED T8 tube replacements

Old 02-28-15, 05:12 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
LED T8 tube replacements

Anyone here replace fluorescent bulbs with LEDs like this? http://www.amazon.com/Hyperikon®-equ...eywords=led+t8

This particular model seems to be well received. You need to rewire the fixture a bit and get rid of the ballast. I have T8 fixtures in my shop right now and while I don't need to replace any bulbs at the moment, I do want to add more fixtures and if they were LED, that would be great. However, I hate to pay for a ballast in the fixture if I'm not going to use it. But I don't seem to see this style fixture with LEDs that don't cost several magnitudes more than buying the fluorescent fixture and using two of these replacement bulbs.

Old 02-28-15, 05:49 AM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
I have found often times when you try to retrofit a fixture you don't get the result that you get from a fixture that was designed specially for a particular lamp.
Have you checked out the difference in cost?check this link out.
https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/11...FdU9gQodBEMAJQ
Geo

Old 02-28-15, 05:55 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
The LED strips contained in these bulbs are common and put out a lot of light. If you have failing ballasts, or just want to eliminate the cost of replacing them, at $20 a pop, it may be beneficial. Guess they would work in low temperature locations like shops as well, not sure. My T12's take a short forever to start on really cold mornings in the shop.

Old 02-28-15, 06:34 AM
D
My shop is in my basement, so it's not too cold. Adding heat is on my list, however.

Old 02-28-15, 07:02 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Hi droo,
They look pretty good but I wonder what will be available in a few more years. There are a ton of t8's out there and once the swap gets going the volume will rocket and volume is what will drive the price down and quality up.

The early Edison LED replacements I installed aren't as nice as some of the newer ones, but because they will last 20 plus years I won't be replacing them. Newer ones give a better light distribution.

Bud

Old 02-28-15, 09:06 AM
D
With the T8s, I the directional light is what I want. It seems like the leds bulbs are finally at a good place. I won't be replacing any of my lamps anytime soon, but if I add more fixtures, I think I want to go this route.

Old 02-28-15, 09:48 AM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
Look at the detailed info. It requires you to bypass the ballast and possibility rewire the sockets (tombstones). Also look at the color of the lamps, 4000K is good for a workshop but might not be good in all locations.

Sylvania has some LED tubes that are just plug and play, no rewiring required. They are also frosted to help diffuse the light. Not saying that the Amazon are bad, just sharing info.

Old 03-01-15, 08:52 AM
D
Yeah, I saw the bypass requirement. That's doesn't bother me. My current lights are 3500K. I would prefer something warmer though. I think they offer those LEDs in 3000K as well.

Old 03-01-15, 01:58 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
While I wholeheartedly endorse LED lighting for new installations I doubt that it is cost effective in a retrofit of fluorescent unless you plan on being in the house for at least a decade, maybe even longer.

You need to consider the capital cost of retrofitting and then compare that to the cost of electricity if you do nothing. In far too many cases the retrofit will not start to return any money for at least ten years. The less you use the specific lights the longer the period before a return on your investment.

As an example, I have five, eight foot 2-tube high output fluorescent fixtures in my garage/shop. Most of the time when I am out there I have only one fixture lit and I doubt that I average more than an hour a day with that single fixture being lit. While I haven't "run the numbers" I suspect it would take more than fifty years to begin any ROI from retrofitting to LED lighting.

Old 03-01-15, 03:17 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Sylvania has some LED tubes that are just plug and play, no rewiring required. They are also frosted to help diffuse the light.
And when the ballast fails they won't work so you need to spend money to get the lights working again. My take is LEDs might meet ROI with no ballast but with a ballast that kills any chance of meeting ROI.

Old 03-01-15, 03:51 PM
D
The Sylvania's are also 15$ more per bulb than the Hyperikons. I plan on being here until I die. So whenever that is....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: