Remove a flush mounted track light style chandelier

Old 02-28-15, 09:54 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Remove a flush mounted track light style chandelier

The previous owners installed this chandelier, about half the the lights no longer work and it's not the bulbs after trying various combinations. I want to take it down to check the wiring or possibly just replace the thing as it makes a loud humming sound when lit up. The brand is Lightolier; but, I haven't been able to find it on their website or online, my guess is this thing is 10-15+ years old.

I don't see any screw holes as the rods go all the way through the unit and are bolted all the way at the top, I've thought of trying to get a wrench up there and removing all the bolts and then the rods and then, I'm assuming the cover comes off; but, there has to be an easier way as I can't imagine it was installed that way.

Anyone work with one of these before and/or have any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Name:  unnamed.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  26.8 KB

Old 02-28-15, 11:52 AM
Group Moderator
Received 4,059 Upvotes on 3,642 Posts
I've never seen a fixture like that. If no one responds that they've seen it maybe you could post a large picture of just the track and where the fixture attaches.

Name:  unnamed.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  16.6 KB

Old 02-28-15, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Well, thats a Philllips brand and IIRC has been around for quite a while. You might want to shoot them an email and see what they can help with. Don't insert a pic, just try to explain the issues and if you get a response, then maybe you can send a pic.

Old 02-28-15, 02:00 PM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
Send a few pic's to Lightolier, that definitely is a strange one although it is hard to see in the pics
Geo

Old 03-22-15, 08:31 PM
K
Taking down your unique chandelier.

The mid-century modern light fixture from Lightolier maybe low-voltage and the loud noise you hear could be a transformer gone bad. Since you say there are no screws or acorn capnuts on the face of the "base" plate approximately 6" diagonally from each corner and/or no large capnut in the center of the "base" plate, then there might be screws or fasteners around the black recessed edge of the mounting base against the ceiling. Use a light and mirror to find or see them or try to feel for them but they usually are flush with the surrounding surface and hard to find. It is unlikely but another possible way the manufacturer may have fastened the "base" plate to the mounting plate was to use the downrods nearest each corner as fasteners using compression fittings or lock nuts of some type. Once you get into the fixture, if there are transformers, the bad one will be cool or really hot to the touch...the good one(s) will be a little warm. Good luck:-)

Old 03-22-15, 09:55 PM
K
addendum to my previous post.

The info in my previous post was based on several other similar light fixtures I have seen that were made/marketed by Lightolier. If ALL the "lower" downrods are COMPLETELY through the fixture and secured by nuts on the top surface facing the ceiling, then there maybe several other possible fastening techniques used in its construction. A second photo of what is going on above the fixture between the main support platform and the ceiling would help to decern a solution to your dalema. More photos and close-ups would help me to advise you on this riddle you have posed to this forum. Thanks:-)

Old 03-22-15, 10:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,059 Upvotes on 3,642 Posts
The OP has been back since posting this thread but hasn't responded yet.... hopefully soon.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: