What kind of bulb?

Old 02-28-15, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
What kind of bulb?

Ok, time to get some light in the kitchen here. I guess you call it a galley kitchen with the eating area on one end and the door to the garage on the other. Sink on outside wall, range opposite. All I have for lighting is 5 can lights in the cathedral ceiling. One pretty much over the sink, 2 more over each side. They aren't adjustable so they all direct most of their light away from the outside wall towards the stove area and countertop.

Prior occupants had reg spiral CFLs in the cans. Basically useless, as much of the light didn't get out.

No labels in the cans, and these are basic contractor grade cheapos. No interior reflectors, just the can and then a trim ring.

Opening in the trim ring is right at 3 3/4", maybe a smidge more. Depth to top of bulb socket is also 3 3/4".

I'm thinking I need an R30 bulb or BR30, but I can't find any reference for the length of the neck of the bulb. I want it flush or slightly protruding from the trim ring for max light.

If it were my house, I'd probably go LED, but $100 for so for bulbs in one room is too much. I'm going to go with CFLs if I can find them. I only have the lights on in there when I'm actively cooking dinner at night.

Any suggestions?

Old 02-28-15, 10:42 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,959 Upvotes on 1,756 Posts
aw, I got the sizes all wrong...

is this close to what you would need?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips-7...1438/203528711

or

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips-7...1438/203528711

Old 02-28-15, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator
Yep, and I just answered my own question. I looked closer at one of the cans and I can adjust the depth of the socket, so neck length won't matter. Had to take the trim ring off to do that and ta-da! There was the stickers with info. It is an R30...so I can use PAR or BR also. Though I guess the PAR type is more for outside use with that heavy glass lens? No wattage rating, but I'm assuming 60 or 75 is common?

I know the halogens are better than incandescent, but the CFLs are better still for heat and energy usage, so if I can find them, thats what I'll use.

I don't mind the kinda slow start and I won't be flipping them on and off all the time, just at dinner time for an hour or so.

Thanks for the research. At least it made me explore a bit more.

Old 02-28-15, 11:24 AM
Group Moderator
hmm, I seem to have pasted the same link twice. One was a PAR, which directs light more like a spot light would, but with a wide beam... good for when your light is a long distance from the surface, and when you want the light to stay concealed inside the can (not protruding) whereas the other link I was going to paste... Feit Electric 65-Watt Incandescent BR30 Flood Light Bulb (48-Pack)-65BR30/FL/MP/48 - The Home Depot is more of a "flood" which disperses the light over a wider area, especially if you let the bulb just slightly protrude from the ring.

Yeah I definitely wouldn't exceed 75W.

I used PAR's in mom and dad's kitchen photos. We didn't want the bulbs protruding.

Old 02-28-15, 01:56 PM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
If you get them at Big Orange, buy a few different style bulbs and see which one suits you needs, you have 90 days to return.
Just Saying !
Geo

Old 02-28-15, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator
Yeah I did buy different temps. Thought I might like the 5000K over the sink, but it's too harsh. Will wind up using the 2700K I imagine. They don't carry the 3500K that probably would have been perfect, but I'd have to order them. Well, the soft whites are way better than the spirals with no reflector in the can.

Boy these are cheap cans. Trim rings held on with coil springs that you have to use needle nose pliers to unwind to get them off. Of course now they are all kinked and straightened out. Don't most use spring clips now? They just snap in and are held by tension?

Once I get this sorted out I may spend the money to buy CFL globe lights for the bathrooms. Right now they just have 60W equivalent spirals sticking out exposed. Uuugggly!

Old 02-28-15, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator
Hey, while I'm here, is there some sort of screw in adapter to convert a single bulb to a double? Preferably upside down T shaped so the bulbs are horizontal? I think I've seen upside down Y shaped, and may have to go with them. This is for the garage. I can't install plug in florescents and wouldn't really want to anyway. But 2 100W equivalent CFLs in each of the 2 sockets would be a big improvement, esp since the ceiling is a gloss white and would reflect well.

Whoa...I may have figured an even better way. But if anyone knows of a T type, please let me know.

Old 02-28-15, 03:33 PM
Group Moderator
Don't think so, as that might put the top of the bulb too close to the ceiling, but you could use 3 Y's and put them all together. Might look hillbilly. ha ha Seems like they used to sell the tee's years ago- I could swear there were some 4-ways in the house as a kid... but they probably banned them some years ago.

I would just buy one big 300 watt bulb and put it on a porcelain fixture, but that's just me. Those 300 watt bulbs are like looking directly at the sun.

Old 02-28-15, 03:52 PM
Group Moderator
Here you go Vic... I know you are flush with cash and could afford this one...

Vintage Industrial Four Socket Benjamin Cluster Light Socket | eBay

Old 02-28-15, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator
Oh yeah, thats JUST what I need X! I mean, what's $650 to get a little more light in the garage? Lol

Actually, I saw something when searching that may even be a bit more redneck. An adapter that screws in with 2 outlets on the sides and a bulb socket on the bottom. Then 2 plug in socket adapters. That would give me 3 100W equivalent bulbs per fixture. 2 horizontal and one vertical. I mean, I'm using CFLs, so the total draw will only be 63W and less heat than one 100W incandescent. But a total of 4950 lumens per fixture. And they are in the middle of the garage, so it will be pretty even. Yeah, that will probably be enough I imagine.

I probably wouldn't need nearly as much if the garage door had windows.

Btw...changing the kitchen bulbs to the BR30 65W CFLs made a dramatic difference in the lighting. I put a 100W CFL in the hood also. Just wish they had had the 3500K BR30s. Oh well, I'm happy with what I have now.

Old 02-28-15, 05:12 PM
Group Moderator
Funny, I saw the same setup in one picture online... but chose to post the one on ebay instead... figured it would get more of a laugh.

You should just keep stringing them things together... one after the other- pretty soon it would start to look like the starting lights at a drag strip!

Old 02-28-15, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator
You should just keep stringing them things together
You know, I actually thought about that myself. If it's not enough, just add another outlet socket to outlet adapter and 2 more plug in adapters. Prob hit my head on them by that time. And getting them lined up right would probably be problematic.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: