Basement Lighting Question ?

Old 02-28-15, 05:55 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Basement Lighting Question ?

Hello Everyone,

I wasn't sure whether I should post this in the basement forum or here ... I'm in the process of finishing my basement and I'm running some new branch circuits for lighting and receptacles. At this time, I'm not certain about the ceiling material. In fact, I might leave it open for a while before I decide. The only thing that I've eliminated is drywall. Because of this, I'm not sure how I should mount the ceiling fixture boxes. So my question, is there a depth I can use that would accommodate most ceilings? Does anyone have any suggestions? I know there are extension boxes and stuff like that, so I was thinking about doing 1/2" depth off the wood. Would like to get others thoughts on this. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-15, 06:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If you are planning on can lights, the spanners can be tacked to the floor joists, with slack wiring, and repositioned to grids for a drop ceiling later.

Old 02-28-15, 06:50 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Home Depot has some great new LED lights. Some of them are the shape of the old 4' fluorescent fixtures but they provide better light than the flourescents & can lights. I installed a few of them for a customer. They also have circular style. You can mount the box almost flush to the joists & screw the LEDs to the joists. The installation is quick & easy.

Old 03-01-15, 08:38 PM
Thanks for the replies. If you have link to those lights at Home Depot I would be interested in looking at them. The stores by me have a poor selection. Thank you

Old 03-02-15, 03:50 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
For the can lights themselves. Halo 6 in. Aluminum Recessed Lighting New Construction IC Housing-H7ICT - The Home Depot

For the LED trims. Halo 5 in. and 6 in. Matte White Recessed Retrofit Baffle-Trim LED Module 80 CRI, 3500K-RL560WH6835R - The Home Depot They will run from 2700 degrees Kelvin up to 3500 degrees, so you will need to pick the spectrum of light you want, with the higher number being brighter, whiter light.

Old 03-02-15, 06:37 AM
Temporarily Suspended
johnnyfever
LED - Flushmount Lights - Recessed & Flushmount Lighting - The Home Depot

They look much better in real life