LED Potlight Surge when turning on and off in Dimmed state

Old 03-05-15, 11:23 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
LED Potlight Surge when turning on and off in Dimmed state

Hello,

I'm hoping that this is a simple fix but I have a strange problem with my newly installed pot lights. I installed 10 LED pot lights in the my kitchen on a cooper electric 3-way LED rated dimmer. The dimmer works fine and there doesn't seem to be any inconsistency with power but the lights surge when they are turned on and off.

If I dim them and turn them off they flash very quickly once at the highest power before turning off. When I turn them back on at the dimmed level they go on full strength and then quickly reduce to the correct dimmed brightness.

Is this as simple as a faulty switch? Or is it a possible installation error?

I've attached links to the dimmer, pots and led's.

"Decora" Slide Dimmer | RONA

4" Line Voltage Recess Housing - RS4NC-ICA IC / New Construction Airtight - 120 Volt - MayFair

6 Watt - LED HR16 with Reflector - Warm White - Dimmable - 120V - Medium (E26) Base - LED-HR16-6W-WW-80D

Thank you very much,

Ian

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-15, 02:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums! What you describe is totally normal behavior for LED lighting. They will react differently than incandescent lamps that you are accustomed to. They will discharge a bit of electricity at the off cycle causing the small flash. Again, totally normal. At start up, with 10 on one switch (nothing wrong), an influx of current is needed to excite the LEDs. Rest easy. Technology takes some getting used to.

Old 03-26-15, 07:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you read the manual there is a note that says " it is normal for the lights to momentarily turn on at full brightness when power up to ensure all lights start properly at low dim levels."