splitting light to add ceiling fans

Old 03-13-15, 10:55 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
splitting light to add ceiling fans

This is a dumb question, but a thought popped into my head, and I figured I would at least ask someone before completely ruling it out. What I want to do is add two ceiling fans into my garage. There is a single light fixture located in the middle of the garage which is a standard four light, flat fluorescent bulb fixture. I want the fans to be on the left and right side of the room. My idea was to get two electrical boxes to hang the fans on and run two sets of conduit along the roof from the fans on the left and right side to the central light fixture in the middle of the room and tie them into that. I want to replace the fluorescent fixture anyway, so I would just get a new fixture for the middle and hang it from another electrial box where I would wire both fans to it. There is currently one switch to turn the light on which would be fine becuase I would prefer for everything to come on at the same time anyway.
So basically I want to split two fans off of a single light essentially turning one fixture into 3. Is this even a possibility? Would it be too much for the one switch to handle safely ? Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 03-14-15, 03:55 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 10 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Totally doable as you have stated. Just daisy chain the wiring from the light junction box to the two fans (wh-wh, bk-bk and ground to ground). Make sure you use fan rated boxes to attach the fans. Something similar:

Name:  fan rated box 2.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  6.3 KB

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: