Wiring question with exterior lanterns

Old 03-19-15, 07:11 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wiring question with exterior lanterns

I'm wanting to hang an exterior light on the brick just outside our doorway. The original owners of the home had the lights in the recessed alcove of the doorway, where the door swinging open would knock into them. The new location is about 14 inches away.

Originally I had hoped to simply splice the wiring from the original box, run it along the indentations of the brick, and into the new light -- which would be attached via cement screws straight to the box.

Reading up on it, however, I see code requires a junction box anytime wires are spliced together. So my question is whether or not there is a simple way to do this that doesn't involve chiseling out the brick for a brand new box and rewiring everything.

Can I simply use a pancake box for the splicing and mount the exterior light on that? Is it okay for the NMB wire to run along the brick?

Old 03-19-15, 07:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,092 Upvotes on 3,675 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Outside you would use type UF cable which is the approved cable for wet locations.
The UF can run along the bricks.

I'm a little confused. The wiring is currently in a box? and you need to extend it. If you use a pancake box at that location you'll need two boxes. One for a splice and one for the new light.

A pancake box is ok for an outside fixture as long as the fixture covers the box. A pancake box is designed for just one cable and would make a poor splice box.

Old 03-21-15, 01:19 PM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
Can you post a pic of what you are trying to accomplish,was the old fixture mounted on the ceiling ?
Geo

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: