Pendant light wire insulation changing color

Old 03-22-15, 11:38 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Pendant light wire insulation changing color

Hey everyone. We purchased new pendant lights 6 months ago from Costco for over our kitchen table. They are made by Artika and are called ampere champagne. We love them however my wife noticed while cleaning them that the wires are discolouring and look like there burning or something from the inside out. On each of the 4 lights the brownish color is creeping up from the light by a inch or so. This has me very nervous. The house is not old and wiring is all perfect. Anyone else seen this?? The cord is clear when it's new and has me worried about a fire. They are on a dimmer switch and the bulbs are proper wattage. Anyone seen this or have advice? Pictures are below.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  21.5 KB

Last edited by mpapps; 03-22-15 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Added picture
Old 03-22-15, 11:45 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Here's another one from a different pendant light.

Name:  light.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  16.5 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 03-22-15 at 12:17 PM. Reason: inserted pic
Old 03-22-15, 11:55 AM
Received 729 Upvotes on 644 Posts
At first I thought that it was just the lighting was hitting the clear insulation. But I agree it looks like discoloration due to electrical origins. I would call the manufacturer or store and alert them to the problem. Does this light have a UL rating to it? If not then I would stop using using it. Take it down and inspect the unit.

Old 03-22-15, 05:05 PM
Received 85 Upvotes on 80 Posts
To me it looks like the wire (which may or may not be copper) is oxidizing from exposure to the chemicals in the insulation
I have seen this many times in cheap imported speaker wire (Even in American made wire but mostly imported stuff)
I have never see lamp/fixture wire do that before
I would replace the fixture or re-wire it if possible (Which may include replacing the sockets as in a lot of newer fixtures the wire in connected without screws)
Anyway get it inspected and fixed or replaced

Old 03-22-15, 05:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,155 Upvotes on 3,731 Posts
When I inserted the picture I expanded it to get a better look at the insulation. Like CircuitBreaker mentioned.... the copper wiring internally oxidizing is a common problem but that looks a little more advanced than just internal oxidization. That looks like heat rising up from the light, thru that tube and heating the insulation on the outside of the wire.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: