Installing new lights in garage

Old 03-25-15, 04:59 PM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Installing new lights in garage

I need to add additional lighting in my garage. It currently has one switched incandescent fixture mounted on a 4" box. I want to add three LED fixtures. The garage ceiling is finished, so fishing wires overhead isn't an option.
I'll be using surface mounted boxes and using shims under the LED fixtures to support the ends. Moisture is not an issue.
I know I just can't run 14-2 NM stapled to the ceiling, but would like to know what is the easiest alternative?
Armored cable, aluminum or steel (I can borrow a roto-split), steel boxes.
-or-
PVC Schedule 40 electrical conduit, using off the shelf 90 bends, offsets, and plastic boxes, mounting clips.
I am suspecting the plastic conduit would be the easiest, but would like the opinion of the pro's in the forum.
My other concern is how to interface between the 4" box (mounted above the drywall) and the PVC.
If I use the armored cable, I can use a 4" box cover with a knockout and use a 90 connector to get the armored cable run started.
Thanks in advance

Old 03-25-15, 09:39 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
Use an extension box over/under the existing ceiling box and then surface run conduit, either EMT or PVC as local code dictates.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48520[/ATTACH]
(Image courtesy of walmart.com)

Attached Images  

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: