Splitting up a circuit

Old 04-01-15, 09:26 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Splitting up a circuit

I would like to split off about half of a 15-amp circuit and add it to a 20-amp circuit.

The 15-amp currently has the garage, a bank of kitchen lights, a full bathroom and the master bedroom on it. I would like to split the bathroom and master bedroom off and add them to the 20-amp circuit which only powers a small full bathroom [which has an additional 20-amp going to it].

My questions are: Is there an obvious reason not to do this? and, If I do it, do I need to upgrade any of the wiring?

Thanks

edit: average-to-light loads in bathroom and master

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-15, 09:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I would like to split the bathroom and master bedroom off and add them to the 20-amp circuit which only powers a small full bathroom [which has an additional 20-amp going to it.
The bathroom receptacles must be on a dedicated circuit. The only other thing that can be on the circuit is bathroom lights and not even that if the bathroom circuit is also for receptacles in another bathroom. The bedroom can not be on the code required dedicated 20 amp GFCI protected bathroom receptacle circuit. Bath lights though can be on a bedroom circuit.

Old 04-02-15, 05:31 AM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
You must change all the 15 amp wire (#14) to (#12) for the 20amp circuits, if I understand what you are trying to do.
Geo

Old 04-02-15, 06:56 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You must change all the 15 amp wire (#14) to (#12) for the 20amp circuits
Yes, that is what I am reluctant to do.

The bathroom receptacles must be on a dedicated circuit.The only other thing that can be on the circuit is bathroom lights and not even that if the bathroom circuit is also for receptacles in another bathroom. The bedroom can not be on the code required dedicated 20 amp GFCI protected bathroom receptacle circuit. Bath lights though can be on a bedroom circuit.
This was the way it was wired when I moved in [original??] which I though was a bit too much, however, by splitting it up wouldn't that put me in a better position [DIY - won't be inspected].

The house was built in '68.

Old 04-02-15, 07:35 AM
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
DIY = won't be inspected.
Still, you must do it correctly, according to the National Electric Code.

If you have a house fire, the electrical system will be inspected, again if it had been inspected before. Should errors be found and also no official blessing by an inspector or your town found, your insurance might not cover you.

The house was built in 1968.
Moving part of circuit 1 to become a part of circuit 2 will eliminate any grandfathering of circuit 2, Notably you may not add on to a circuit that is not compliant with current code.

Now, you may upgrade a circuit piecemeal, including severing a portion of an existing circuit and re-energizing that portion with a new run back to the panel.

Last edited by AllanJ; 04-02-15 at 08:14 AM.