Can you help me figure out if this is a ceiling fan-rated electrical box?

Old 04-04-15, 01:40 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can you help me figure out if this is a ceiling fan-rated electrical box?

Hello,

My husband and I bought a foreclosed home and are in the process of installing light fixtures (previous homeowners removed all of them). I'd like a ceiling fan in the master bedroom and am not sure if this is a ceiling fan-rated electrical box. They painted the metal box so there's no visible sticker/engraving stating that it is.

I can also see two large screws in the middle of the box, presumably attaching the box to a joist. It looks like it also had some sort of "cross-piece" that they removed when they took the light fixture (or maybe it was a ceiling fan, too?).

Name:  IMG_3824.jpg
Views: 1066
Size:  37.7 KB

Name:  IMG_3826.jpg
Views: 1006
Size:  44.0 KB

Any help would be most appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-15, 02:23 PM
Received 27 Votes on 26 Posts
That does not appear to fan rated, a fan rated box would have 2 additional screw hole of a larger thread next to the threaded hole for mounting a bar,check this link out, box less the bar, you may also use plastic fan rated boxes also.after a closer look that may be a fan rated box as Ray pointed out
Raco, 15.5 cu. in. New Work Ceiling Fan Box with Brace, 926 at The Home Depot - Tablet
Geo

Last edited by Geochurchi; 04-04-15 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Had a second look
Old 04-05-15, 10:57 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ray's response is gone, but thank you both for your input. I'm wondering if they may have had a fan installed previously, as we have a set of 4 light switches on the wall, 2 of which operate 2 sets of can lights and the other 2 might be for the light/fan. I'm really not sure. I just worry about installing it and having it fall on us! The problem is that we're in a rural area an hour from civilization, so it will be expensive to get an electrician out here.

Any other insight would be greatly appreciated!

Old 04-05-15, 11:03 AM
Group Moderator
Received 605 Votes on 570 Posts
That may be a fan box as I can see the extra threaded tab below the primary tapped holes. One think that would limit the strength of that install is the two box mounting screws. I'd want to know what they are screw into and how long the screws are.

Since that is not a flat pancake type box..... it may not be mounted to a joist.