Gounded or not DIY pendant lighting

Old 04-08-15, 09:10 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gounded or not DIY pendant lighting

I am making pendant lights out of various rusty metal components for sale. I would like buyer to have option of plug into wall receptacle, (with in cord switch), or be able to hardwire in. So should I be using sockets, wire and plugs that are grounded or not? I of course am looking to minimize my materials cost and need advice on which way to go…..Thx so much!

Old 04-08-15, 10:30 AM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
I would advise using pre-made plug/cord units that are polarized, meaning the neutral blade on the plug is wider so the plug only fits in the receptacle one way. The neutral conductor is the "identified" conductor and it may be so identified by writing or an additional rib in the plastic insulation.

Understand that your DIY lamps will NOT be "approved" unless you submit them to a NRTL (Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory) for testing, an expensive proposition. As such they may be prohibited by LOCAL codes from being used in a wired-in arrangement.

Old 04-08-15, 05:56 PM
R
Interesting… thx for the input. I am aware what i'm selling will not be "approved" and very clearly advise buyer of that, but would very much like to be as responsible as possible with what i'm selling. Thank you

Old 04-08-15, 06:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,048 Upvotes on 3,631 Posts
I am aware what i'm selling will not be "approved" and very clearly advise buyer of that,
That puts you in a very awkward postion if there is ever a problem or God forbid a fire from your light fixture.

I agree 100% with Furd...... if you go forward with your plans..... use only plug in type cord sets.

Old 04-09-15, 08:30 AM
R
I get the impression you don't think I should be doing this at all…..would using a grounded plug (3-prong) , grounded socket and 3-wire cord, be the safest way to go ? thx

Old 04-09-15, 04:14 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
Whether or not you "should" be doing this is something only you can answer. Working carefully and using the polarized cord and plug, wiring the neutral to the shell (silver colored screw) of the lampholder would make this as safe as any other lamp fixture on the market, just without the NRTL approval. I don't see how using a three-wire "grounded" cordset would necessarily make it any safer...how many portable lamps have YOU seen that use a grounded plug and cord?

What we ARE advising you is that once you sell it you lose all control over how it will be used. A buyer may remove the cordset and wire it in permanently and do so in a manner that creates a hazard. If, under those circumstances some is hurt or killed rest assured that SOMEONE will try to pin the blame on you. For that reason alone you need a fairly large product liability insurance plan because even if you are eventually adjudged to be not responsible you DO have to defend yourself.

By following all normal safety requirements you make it less likely that a claim against you for damages will be successful but there is no way to totally insulate yourself from liability or defective product claims. In our "sue happy" society I wouldn't want to place myself on the front lines.

Old 04-09-15, 05:02 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Getting insurance might prove expensive if you can even an insurer because of the lack NRTL .

Old 04-09-15, 05:39 PM
R
I very much appreciate your input, thanks so much. Because what I am doing is one of a kind and nothing of volume the insurance and/or NRTL are an absolute no go. I'm just trying to be responsible. Right or wrong there are ALOT of people doing what I am with various disclaimers associated with the purchase, as in "consult electrician for alteration to wiring" "and not UL approved" etc. Thanks again for the expertise!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: