Wiring multiple lights and 2 ea. 3-way switches. Is this diagram kosher?

Old 04-10-15, 09:02 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wiring multiple lights and 2 ea. 3-way switches. Is this diagram kosher?

Hi,
I am wiring the lights for the main room of a basement remodel with exposed joists. To minimize the amount of pretty wires and to get around some obstacles, I want to run them like so (see drawing), instead of snaking the wire around in series. Is this OK to do?

A second question: I would like to get power from the second 3-way switch location for lighting the next room, can it be done? Or will I need to run another 14-2 from the line-in location?

Many thanks!

Name:  wiring.jpg
Views: 7925
Size:  13.3 KB

Old 04-10-15, 10:33 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I would like to get power from the second 3-way switch location for lighting the next room, can it be done? Or will I need to run another 14-2 from the line-in location?
You will need a second 14-2 from line in. You could do it but you would need to use use a 14-4 instead of 14-3 between the two 3-way switches. The cable is not necessarily easy to find and it could raise box fill issues so just go from line in. The way you have it drawn the switches in the first room would switch power to the second room switches on and off.

But if you did come from the second box (not recommended):
Name:  wiring.jpg
Views: 4329
Size:  9.5 KB

Old 04-10-15, 12:04 PM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your help Ray! Does the rest of the drawing (re. the first question) look alright?

Old 04-10-15, 12:49 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
instead of snaking the wire around in series.
Series is a dirty word here. Lights are always connected parallel. The word you want is daisy-chain.
Does the rest of the drawing (re. the first question) look alright?
Yes.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: