Ceiling fan mounted incorrectly?

Old 04-13-15, 08:12 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ceiling fan mounted incorrectly?

I have a rocking (side to side, not imbalanced) ceiling fan. I watched a bunch of YouTube videos and felt comfortable trying to get in and tighten things up. But once I took the screws out of the canopy that covers the mounting bracket, the fan started to come down. I caught it, called my wife to help, we were able to hold it in place and tighten the loose screws on the bracket, it turned out ok.

Here's my question: Everything I see online says that there's supposed to be a ball that fits into the cup in the mounting bracket, and this is what actually supports the weight of the fan, right? There's no ball on mine, the entire fan is held on to the bracket by the four little screws on the canopy. Is something wrong? Do I need to worry? Or are some fans designed this way?

The bracket itself was loose, so after tightening that down it's not rocking any more. I'm just worried that it was originally mounted wrong and is dangerous.

Old 04-13-15, 08:38 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Everything I see online says that there's supposed to be a ball that fits into the cup in the mounting bracket
But that is not true. That is the problem with some on line videos they have wrong or limited information. A flush mount fan has no ball and some older fans hang from a hook. A large minority of fans out there are flush mount wit no ball. However the question is if the box in the ceiling is fan rated. If the fixture screws into the ceiling box are 8-32 it is not. Post a picture of your fan so we can verify what you have.

Name:  fan_install09.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  27.9 KB
Source: blogspot.com

Old 04-13-15, 08:58 AM
M
Yeah... there's no downrod. That makes sense. Given that it was rocking and now it's not, I'm not excited about the prospect of taking it down again to get a closer look at the box.

Name:  fan.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  25.7 KB

Old 04-13-15, 09:20 AM
Group Moderator
Received 4,101 Upvotes on 3,683 Posts
That's a pretty heavy fan. Make sure you have a helper on a second ladder. You'll need to disconnect the wiring after you disconnect the base from the electrical box and unless you have three hands it can be pretty tough.

Old 04-13-15, 11:59 AM
M
My initial concern was that it had been mounted incorrectly or was missing a part. If that's not the case, as it turns out, how worried do I need to be about the rest? As you mentioned, this thing is heavy. Would there be any reason to suspect that there is anything wrong with the box?

Old 04-13-15, 12:25 PM
M
how worried do I need to be about the rest?
I'd bet even money that the box is not ceiling fan rated and, thus, is not code. Whether you should be worried about that is up to you.

Taking down a fan to examine it isn't all that much work (but, you have already done most of it, so you know about how much work it is). Putting in a correctly rated box will potentially be a lot more work. Is the potential for extra work worth knowing that you did all you could to prevent the fan from tearing out the ceiling?

Old 04-13-15, 12:34 PM
M
It's that common a problem? The house is only 15 years old.

Old 04-13-15, 03:16 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Yes, for a house that old it is unlikely to be fan rated. Even today a contractor isn't likely to spend extra unless required to put in a fan rated box.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: