Switch to control ceiling fan light and speed.

Old 04-19-15, 05:06 PM
Switch to control ceiling fan light and speed.

I have a switch in our master bedroom that turns on our hunter ceiling fan. It is a single switch on the wall, so it does not give us control to turn on the ceiling fan light, or the fan itself. If we switch it to ON/OFF it affects both the light and the fan at the same time.

So we have the following setup currently. Wires 2 and 3 were connected together, were wire #3 comes is HOT, coming from the wall. Wire #1 also comes from the wall and attaches directly to the switch, while the red wire is going into the wall and i can't trace it beyond that.

Name:  wires2.jpg
Views: 936
Size:  43.4 KB

So I purchased a Lutron fan control DVWFSQ-FH from lowes, Lutron Diva 1.5-Amp Single-Pole/3-Way 3-Speed Fan Control - White-DVWFSQ-FH-WH - The Home Depot which I hope would allow me to turn on the fan and the light separately.

Name:  IMG_20150419_185103.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  24.6 KB

It has 2 red wires and one black.
At this point i am not sure whether this new switch will allow me to control the light and the fan speed separately. And if it does, what the proper combination of wires would be. Just to be safe, my goal is to replace the current switch on the wall, for a single switch that allows me turn on the light and the fan separately.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-15, 05:37 PM
Group Moderator
Hot should go to switch black. Do you know if the black of the 3-conductor cable goes to fan black? If so then the fan red marked fan goes to it and the other red to the red of the 3-conductor cable.

Last edited by ray2047; 04-19-15 at 05:53 PM.
Old 04-19-15, 09:32 PM
Ray, I have a basic question. The red wire attached to the original switch seems to run into the walk, leading to the fan. Would I need to cutoff that red wire to release the switch and use a piggy tail to the new one?

Old 04-19-15, 09:56 PM
Group Moderator
A jewelers screw driver or a 4d finish nail in the hole next to it will re lease. Best practice though it should have never been there. It should have been pigtailed to the wire on the screw corresponding to the back stab.

How did you determine what wire was hot? (Sometimes members don't realize they can not use a non contact tester to determine which wire is hot.)

Old 04-19-15, 10:06 PM
I got a tester from Lowes, commercial electric ms8903h that buzzes when I touch wire #3. The others either dont get any sound or a very low, nothing compared to the two blacks #3

Old 04-20-15, 08:59 AM
Group Moderator
I got a tester from Lowes, commercial electric ms8903h that buzzes when I touch wire #3
That was what I was worried about. That won't positively test for voltage. It often gives false positives for a variety of reasons. What you need is an $8-$15 analog (not digital) multimeter (or a test light or solenoid tester). You disconnect the black (or red) and measure to neutral or ground.

Last edited by ray2047; 04-21-15 at 03:02 PM.
Old 04-21-15, 02:46 PM
Thanks Ray.
I played with all of the wires coming from the wall and realized there is currently only ONE wire coming from the fan, when i would need two. So I won't be able to accomplish my project unless i run an additional wire from the fan to the outlet, which I don't think i am capable of doing on my own...

I appreciate your assistance.