Recessed lighting in the basement

Old 04-24-15, 04:44 PM
Recessed lighting in the basement

Hello all,

I want to install recessed lighting in my basement. The area that I am planning to cover is 23' X 12'. I have few questions and I hope you can help.

1. I am planning to use this spot lights:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...f_rd_i=desktop

Can I use just the spot lights for the entire area or should I use a couple of regular recessed lights and use the spot lights to accentuate?

2. How many lights do I need to install in this area of 23 X 12?

3. I have two flourescent light controlled by one switch and another florescent light by another switch. I am planning to use these two switches to control all the recessed lights I am installing. Is there anything that I should check for this e.g. load etc?

4. I also have a home office in a corner where I am planning to put either a pendant or a normal sized recessed light directly overhead for working light.

5. I have a TV in one side of the wall and hoping to add a home theater to it someday. Nothing crazy, just a nice set of surronnd speaker system.

6. I have very little experience with wiring stuff. There are plenty of how-to articles in the internet and hoping i will do fine. If there is anything I should lookout for, pl. chime in.

7. I have brown stained wooden wall on three sides and a sheetrock wall the fourth side. It is kind of dark setting and want to add lights to brigten up the entire room. If you have any creative ideas, pl chime in.

Thank you in anticipation.

Best
arvind.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-15, 05:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
IMO a 4" recessed is good for accent lighting, but is too narrow of a beam for general lighting. I thing a 6" is more reasonable for general lighting. You could probably go 6-8' on center with a white baffle and a flood bulb.

Consider how you will use the space when planning the switches. I would switch the lights near the tv separately to avoid screen glare.

Old 04-24-15, 06:37 PM
I thing a 6" is more reasonable for general lighting. You could probably go 6-8' on center with a white baffle and a flood bulb.
I like the looks of the 10 watt (65 watt equivalent) LED retrofits in a 6" can rather than a 65 watt reflector flood.

Shop SYLVANIA 65-Watt Equivalent White Trim LED Recessed Retrofit Downlight (Fits Housing Diameter: 6-in) at Lowes.com LED

I haven't seen any of these installed, but am anxious to see some. Yes, they are dimmable.

Old 04-24-15, 06:40 PM
Temporarily Suspended
May I suggest LED lighting? It surpasses anything else out there.

Old 04-24-15, 07:26 PM
When you say 6-8' on center, does that mean one light every 6 to 8 feet? For 23' that would be 3 rows of two bulbs each, correct? And then I can do the spotlights around the perimeter for accent lighting.

Old 04-25-15, 08:37 AM
What are you trying to accent? For art work spots are probably the best but for general lighting use floods,How high are the ceilings,just be sure you have the clearance above for the fixtures.
Geo

Old 04-25-15, 11:13 AM
What are you trying to accent? For art work spots are probably the best but for general lighting use floods,How high are the ceilings,just be sure you have the clearance above for the fixtures.
Don' have art work or anything. I want to use the spot lights to direct at the floor. But as another post suggested, I am thinking of putting 6" flood lights, probably 6 of them, 3 rows of 2 each, for the 23 X 12 space. And then add the spot lights for additional coverage. Like this:

Name:  2015-04-25 14_10_53-Microsoft Excel - Book3.png
Views: 568
Size:  7.7 KB

Regarding the height, I think it is about 8 feet high from floor to ceiling. It is a dropped ceiling so I should have have any problem fitting the recessed lights.

What do you all think?

Old 04-25-15, 11:52 AM
Group Moderator
The lights you picked out from Amazon are for remodel use. If these are going into a suspended ceiling I would suggest new work cans. A ceiling tile might not support the can.

Old 04-26-15, 04:47 AM
The lights you picked out from Amazon are for remodel use. If these are going into a suspended ceiling I would suggest new work cans. A ceiling tile might not support the can.
Thank you for the tip Tolyn. I will look for the new construction cans.