Wiring connections for new bath light

Old 04-28-15, 07:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Wiring connections for new bath light

Hi I have an older home (1950s). Am trying to install new bath vanity light(replacing old vanity bar w/4 small bulbs). There is a light switch controlling light . I did not take pic or make diagram of previous connections.I did install an old work electrical box as the other wires were just coming out of hole in wall. Currently, this is what I have: two cables (each has B copper wire and W copper wire.) Also there is a single W wire separate from the others. I'm wondering if that is a ground wire? I have connected all B wires (2 from wall and 1 from new fixture) and did same with the 2 W that were in cable and 1 from new fixture . I attached the fixture ground to single W wire. I can get all 3 bulbs in new fixture to come on, but are not controlled by light switch, and it trips the breaker each time. Thoughts, or do I need to call an electrician. I have been able to determine the one of B wires is hot and other is not. Is the cold B part of switch?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-15, 07:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Sounds like a switch loop. Open the switch. If it has only a black and white wire and they are connected to the switch. It is a switch loop.
there is a single W wire separate from the others
Any time you have a wire that doesn't seem to make sense don't guess. Just cap it with a wire nut. A 1950's era wiring usually will not have a ground. If the white is intended as ground it is the wrong color and some kind of unknown bootleg I would not trust.

Old 04-28-15, 07:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 337 Votes on 315 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

White should not be used as a ground wire. You have a switch loop there.

Name:  switchloop.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  13.3 KB

You'll see my diagram uses 2) two wire cables. One is the feed in and the other goes to the switch. You will need to determine which cable is the feed in cable and then follow the diagram.

(lightning fast fingers Ray there)

Old 05-03-15, 05:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Red face Thanks you for the info and diagram!

Thank you very much- I did connections as per the descriptions and diagram and it worked! No circuit breakers tripping and the looks great- couldn't have figured it out without your help

Old 05-03-15, 06:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Glad you got it. Thanks for letting us know.