Replaced ceiling fan, now lamp plugged into switched outlet flickers

Old 05-03-15, 10:45 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replaced ceiling fan, now lamp plugged into switched outlet flickers

I replaced a ceiling fan that had a remote control box connected to it. After connecting the new fan two problems occurred:
1. Fan tries to turn when light switch that controls a bottom outlet is turned off. Fan does not seem to receive enough power to begin turning but tries.
2. Lamp plugged into bottom plug controlled by light switch lights when light switch is in 'on' position but now flickers when light switch is in off position.

Here is what I know:
Fan - When I removed the old fan, black from the box was connected to black from the fan. White from the box was not connected to anything and was capped. Green grounds from box and fan were capped together. I cannot remember what the white from the fan was connected to. The new fan has a built in remote so the fan only needs full time power and not controlled by a switch. I connected black from box to fan black, white from box to fan white, ground from box to fan ground.

Light switch - The light switch controls the bottom plug of the outlet and worked fine before I replaced the fan. The power source for the light switch comes from the outlet. Wiring at the light switch is black from the box to the off position and white from the box to the on position. Ground from box is not connected to anything.

Outlet - Bottom plug is controlled by light switch. Three 3 wire cables come into the outlet box. Cable 1 has white connected to bottom plug (assuming this is connected to the light switch), black is capped together with black from cable 2 and white from cable 3. Cable 2 white is connected to top plug, cable 3 black is connected to top plug. All grounds are connected together.

I have not climbed into the ceiling to see how the cable at the fan box is connected to the house seems like it must be connected to the light loop. Any help trouble-shooting the problem and how to correctly wire the fan with the current set up is greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-15, 11:43 AM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Wiring at the light switch is black from the box to the off position and white from the box to the on position.
That is indicative of a switch loop meaning power comes in at the fan or the receptacle and travels to the switch on the white wire.
Cable 1 has white connected to bottom plug (assuming this is connected to the light switch)
On the brass or silver side?
black is capped together with black from cable 2 and white from cable 3
So cable #3 is probable the switch loop from the wall switch. Best guess is either cable #1 or cable #2 goes to the fan and the remaining cable is hot. Make a diagram of all you connections. Disconnect cable #1 and using a multimeter (non contact tester won't work) determine if it is the power in cable. If not test cable #2. Go that far and then we will go from there after you post your results.

Summary:
  • Is the white wire at the receptacle on the brass or silver side?
  • Is cable #1 or cable #2 hot at the receptacle.

Old 05-03-15, 05:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The outlet has paint overspray on the sides so I can't tell if the white wire is on the brass or silver side. I'm attaching a diagram that will hopefully indicate what is where. With the fan wired as indicated in my initial post, what would cause the lamp connected to the bottom plug controlled by the light switch to flicker and not go off when the switch is in the off position after the fan was connected? I will search for my multimeter and let you know what I find. Thank you for your reply!Name:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  23.4 KB

Old 05-03-15, 05:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 331 Votes on 309 Posts
That circuit will work fine BUT the jumper on the left (white/neutral) side of the receptacle must be in place so that the white wires are connected together.

Your wiring/diagram does not show the receptacle as split. You would need a switched and an always live hot wire......... you are showing a switched hot wire only.