Simple ? lightswitch install 2 switches One line in

Old 05-06-15, 06:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Simple ? lightswitch install 2 switches One line in

Hello to all and thanks for helping others.

My situation:

Wall switch at bedroom entrance operates an outlet that was designed to be used by a table lamp - to be turned on when entering the bedroom. The switch only operates this one outlet.

I've installed an overhead light and replaced the light switch electrical box to accommodate two switches. I've installed a dimmer switch for the overhead light and kept the switch for the lamp.

I've connected the line in power to the on/off switch for the lamp and to the dimmer switch for the overhead light. But, power still flows to the light - white wire - no matter what I do to the dimmer switch. Que pasa? This doesn't seem to be right. I've followed the install instructions for the switches.

How should I wire these two switches (dimmer and single pole) using the single incoming line power?

I would greatly appreciate any assistance anyone can give me.

Thanks and my regards.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-15, 07:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Did you have power at the switch box? If you only had a black and white wire at the switch and they were connected to the switch you did not have power at the switch.
But, power still flows to the light - white wire
That while not totally clear indicates you indeed had a switch loop and there fore no neutral at the switch so as I said no power.

Old 05-07-15, 06:04 AM
Response

I don't understand all that I know about your comment.

I will give it another shot:

Please read my previous posts to see how I made the connections and what the function of the existing connection was - prior to my doing anything.

Present status is:

I made connections to the existing switch and to the new dimmer as previously stated.

The previously existing wiring to the previously existing switch was blk, wht, gnd to the switch. This switch is currently wired exactly as before and works just fine.

The connections to the newly installed dimmer were made exactly as I previously stated using the blk, wht, gnd wires that connect to the existing switch.

Now, obviously (I think), the white wire at the fixture is hot. Don't like that but I don't know how to wire it differently.

Hope this clarifies things.

With my regards,

Andy

Old 05-07-15, 06:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 24 Votes on 20 Posts
The white at the old switch is part of a switch loop. It is a hot feed to the switch. The black is the switched hot back to the receptacle. You do not currently have a neutral in that box to extend to the new lights. Some rewiring will need to be done.

Old 05-07-15, 07:18 AM
Group Moderator
As I said you do not have power at the switch. No neutral no power. Just because it is white doesn't make it a neutral. As PC said you will need to rewire. Easiest is to make the switched receptacle always hot and do away with that switch. Second easiest is to leave the receptacle switched and run a new cable between the receptacle and the switch.

This is what you had before you installed the new switch. You did not have power only a switch loop. By code the wire with white insulation should have been remarked black or red to indicate it was NOT a neutral.

Name:  Sw..jpg
Views: 6668
Size:  22.1 KB

Last edited by ray2047; 05-07-15 at 07:35 AM.
Old 05-07-15, 08:33 AM
Thanks

Thank you very much for the diagram, it was very helpful - pictures are great.

The wire in the switch box was not coded in any manner - the wires were black and white as I stated. Doesn't surprise me at all.

Also, thank you very much for giving me my options to remedy the problem. Obviously, maybe, I'll take the easy one. But, based upon my overwhelming ignorance of electrical wiring, I assume I need to do the following:

Go to the outlet in question, disconnect the switch wiring, connect the line wiring that should be there to the outlet and pigtail it to (what was) the switch wiring. Then I have line wiring for the overhead light. So, I use this to make the connections to the dimmer.

Does this sound right?

You've been a tremendous help. Thanks for the education.

With my regards,

Andy

Old 05-07-15, 09:13 AM
Group Moderator
and pigtail it to (what was) the switch wiring. Then I have line wiring for the overhead light.
Yes, that is correct but the receptacle will no longer be switched. Does the fan have a light?

I ask if the fan has a light because local code often requires either a switched receptacle for a lamp or a switched light. If the fan has a light the switched receptacle is no longer needed to meet code.

I know you already ran the cable for the light but since you now have a two gang box I would suggest replacing the cable from switch to fan with a 3-conductor cable so you can have one switch for the light and one for the fan.

Old 05-07-15, 04:21 PM
Thanks again

Actually there is no fan. I'm just installing an overhead light. The house was built in 1975 when the builder was going bankrupt. Inexpensive townhouse - no overhead lighting installed anywhere - except in the kitchen - which needs to be replaced - not enough light there.

Anyway, I've struggled with this light for several day. It is an awkward install which compounded my frustrations with the install.

But, you've been an enormous help and I can't really express how much I appreciate your help and experience.

My best to you.

With my regards,

Andy