Outdoor lights not working -- switch or bulbs ?

Old 05-08-15, 07:10 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Outdoor lights not working -- switch or bulbs ?

I've got two outdoor lights/lamps in the front of my house. They work off of the same switch. One stopped working at one point, and then the other stopped working about 6 months later.

If both had stopped working at the same time, I would have thought that it's the switch. Since one stopped working and then the other 6 months later (and like I said, they work off of the same switch), I'm unsure if the issue would be the switch or the lights/lamps.

I'm not a handy guy and by no means an electrician, but I'll try to do work like this by myself to save money. These projects normally take me a while because I'm hesitant due to my inexperience. Does this sound like a switch, light/lamp or even an electrical wire issue to anyone here with experience/professionals?

Any help would be appreciated.

Best regards,

Joe.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-15, 08:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
With the breaker off remove the lights from their junction boxes, remove the wire nuts one at a time, look for corrosion or broken wires and then replace with a new wire nut. Do only one connection at a time so you don't mix up the wires. Pictures before stating are a good back up just in case.

Old 05-08-15, 09:17 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Have you tried replacing the bulbs?