Exterior wall lights

Old 05-08-15, 11:17 PM
Exterior wall lights

Hi,

I am trying to install 2 exterior wall lights (one on either side of the garage door) - one side of the garage presents no apparent difficulties (see attached picture) but on the other side abutting the garage door are 3 2 x's sandwiched together and then the wall (also see attached).

I think the solution involves some sort of mounting block (perhaps a J Block?), although there are many different kinds it appears; ideally I could mount on top of the vinyl siding although that may stick out quite a bit too. I haven't worked with taking apart / putting together vinyl siding before, as it seems that some of these mounting blocks are two pieces where the second piece goes behind the vinyl and attached directly to the sheathing underneath. Any help to get me going in the right direction would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Dan

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-15, 04:14 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You can use mounting blocks for vinyl siding for the exterior aesthetics. Shop Builders Edge 6.687-in x 6.687-in White Standard Mounting Block at Lowes.com

As far as your junction box, bracing between your studs and attaching a Carlon blue box to the cross member and cutting a hole for it to go into will work. Pictures aren't the best. Cleaning your lens may help with sharpness, and pulling back from the installation area will help us see better.

Old 05-09-15, 10:47 AM
Group Moderator
The junction box and mounting also depend on the type of fixture. You can cut the siding and mount a junction box horizontally but will that work with the fixture.

A link to the type of fixture would also be helpful.

Old 05-09-15, 05:19 PM
Thanks for the helpful feedback. I actually stumbled upon this great mounting block made by Arlington Industries today, as seen in the attached picture. In the picture I am holding it with some pressure against the siding to simulate having screws in there - this is the model made for 1/2" lap siding (they also make a 5/16" and 5/8"). Since the store doesn't carry the 5/16" I'm not sure if that would be a better fit (my gut tells me I have the right model and with a little caulking would take it on home). I could buy the 5/16" model from Amazon but not sure this is necessary, as the 1/2" model seems like a decent fit.

Dan

Attached Images  
Old 05-10-15, 04:00 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The 5/16" model only sits closer to the siding. It is the overall thickness. The detent detail will be the same, only the profile will be narrower. If you caulk the edges, leave a hole at the bottom for water to move through.

Old 05-12-15, 08:53 PM
Thank you for the follow up. I may order the 5/16" model just to see if it's a better fit.