Cree DRDL4-with edison base

Old 05-10-15, 03:13 PM
Cree DRDL4-with edison base

Does any one know if the edison base on this retro recessed light is a power supply for the LED? I would like to remove this edison base and use the Powerplug LED connector instead.

Cree DRDL4-05727009-12DE26-1C100 4 in. TW Series 65W Equivalent Soft White (2700K) Dimmable LED Retrofit Recessed Downlight

Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-15, 03:42 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

Not quite sure I understand your question fully but most cans like that use a ceramic edison base socket that doesn't have a power supply in the actual socket.

You should be able to screw that new replacement unit right in with no issues.

Old 05-10-15, 04:12 PM
CREE LED with edison base

Sorry for not explaining in more detail. Here in California, we have requirements that demand the use of LED (or high efficacy lights). To control this, recessed fixtures have a small PowerPlug that limits the type of light bulb that can be used. I purchased the Cree bulbs thinking I could simply snip off the edison base and attach the PowerPlug (PowerPlugŪ Luminaire Disconnect 18AWG Solid 2-Wire) and use them with these recessed housings. But I cannot snip off the edison base if it contains the power supply. I cannot find any info as to whether or not the edison base contains the power supply for the LED.

Old 05-10-15, 04:20 PM
Group Moderator
I doubt it's in the lamp base. It would make more sense to be inline with the socket wiring, possibly in the wiring junction box.

Without knowing your exact fixture I couldn't offer any more help.