Fluorescent Light Problems

Old 05-11-15, 07:33 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fluorescent Light Problems

I moved into an apartment with a single 15" fluorescent light bulb that I thought was out so I ordered one off eBay for 5.00 and I put it in along with a new warmer and the bulb got very bright and blew as soon as I flipped the switch, so now I am thinking bad bulb so I go to the hardware store and buy another and put it in the same thing it blew. I take the fixture down and find that the inside was burned at the ballast and the wires melted. I replaced the ballast and bought yet another bulb and this time when I turn the light on just the ends of the bulbs have a slight glow, but if I rotate the bulb just a little the light goes to full brightness and will stay on until I turn the switch off but then the light will not come back on or even have the light glow at the ends, I have to rotate the bulb back to the normal position until I get the light glow and then rotate a little again and the light come on bright again. Any suggestions what to do next? I need to keep the fixture since I cant find anything that comes close as a replacement and that the conduit matches. Could the new warmer be bad since I used it before replacing the ballast? The bulb is F14 T12.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-15, 08:07 PM
I'm not good with flourescent lights but to me it sounds like the warmer was damaged by the bad ballast or the contacts are bad in the sockets.

Good luck,
Lonnie

Old 05-11-15, 08:26 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I'm confused. Is this your warmer or did it come with the apartment. If it isn't yours you shouldn't be working on it.

Old 05-11-15, 08:45 PM
Received 29 Votes on 25 Posts
I give up whats a ẅarmer? Guessing you mean starter.
I'm 100% with Ray on this one, if you do not own this place you never should have touched it.

Old 05-11-15, 08:56 PM
I should have said starter, sorry. The landlord told me to fix it. I have changed ballasts before but the bulb not starting with the new starter has me thinking it blew with the first ballast as Piddler suggested. I will try another starter tomorrow.

Old 05-11-15, 09:38 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
And here I thought it was a food warmer with a back light. Modern fluorescent lights don't even use a starter so it sounds like it is old enough to be retired.
The landlord told me to fix it.
And did you get in writing that he will accept full financial liability should something go wrong?

Old 05-24-15, 11:57 PM
You have got either a bad socket or the wires are not making good contact with the push in contacts in the socket. Just baout all fluorescent sockets are junk.

Old 05-26-15, 10:54 PM
Upgrade to T8 and watch your problems go away. You just need a T8 ballast and bulb. Can keep the old fixture.