Adapt vintage chandelier for primary kitchen lighting?

Old 05-16-15, 08:02 PM
Question Adapt vintage chandelier for primary kitchen lighting?

Hello, I'm trying to figure out a new lighting solution for my small galley kitchen. Currently I have some cheap track lights from Home Depot in there and I don't like them. Even the lowest wattage bulbs are blinding. I know I could put a dimmer switch in, but they're ugly, too, and I want to do something kind of special.

I really love the vintage Toleware chandeliers (like this one: https://www.etsy.com/listing/1101489...=sr_gallery_30 ) but I am uncertain whether they would provide enough light to work with with those little bulbs.

I'd love any input about whether it might be possible to adapt the sockets in this style of chandelier so that they would accommodate a slightly larger bulb. I am fine with removing the candlestick-looking pieces in order to make this happen, but I am unsure if this is doable. I want it to be pretty!

Also, the ceilings are not too tall so I would need to eliminate the chain and extra length at the top and basically flush-mount the chandelier to the ceiling. Is this safe and not insane?

I'd appreciate any advice on making my kooky kitchen dreams come true! Thank you!

Here is a photo of my kitchen in case that is helpful:

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-15, 04:45 AM
Temporarily Suspended
I know that you asked about a chandelier but Home Depot has some LED fixtures that really give a nice light. They come in round or rectangle shapes. The rectangle light would be perfect for your kitchen.

Old 05-17-15, 05:22 AM
I don't believe a chandelier is going to work for that application,they are much better suited for over a table and not general lighting,a different track light with smaller heads seems like the best option as that seems like a narrow space,you could also consider recessed lighting which would work nice there.
Geo

Old 05-17-15, 09:43 AM
Thank you for the suggestions and input, Geochurchi and Pulpo; that is so helpful! Those rectangle LED lights are surprisingly nice looking! And, I don't know why I didn't think of this before but I have also been looking at schoolhouse-style lights similar to the one over my dining table... Maybe I'll swap it out and see how that works in the kitchen and then get a chandelier for the dining room. Thanks again.

Old 05-17-15, 06:35 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Home Depot has a good return policy. You can buy one of the LEDs, connect it & return it, if you change your mind.