Hunter Ceiling fan hums but doesn't start spinning

Old 05-19-15, 10:57 AM
Hunter Ceiling fan hums but doesn't start spinning

Hello, I recently moved into a flat that has a newer Hunter ceiling fan (it's probably within 5 years old). When I moved in, it was winter but I tried the fan once and it worked. A month or two later when it started to get warm out I attempted to turn it on and nothing happened.

The fan is on one light switch (single switch) in the kitchen. The fan has lights as well, which work. When I flip the switch on and pull the fan chain I can hear the motor hum and cycle through the 3 speeds. The fan blades DO spin freely, regardless if power is on or off.

Originally, I thought the capacitor was blown so I purchased a new wiring harness from Hunter (part# K226602H03). The harness has new wires, switch, and capacitor on it. I installed it and everything stayed the same. The motor hums as I cycle through the speeds but the fans never start to turn.

If knowing the exact model of the fan would help, please let me know, I'm at work as I type this so I can update later if needed.

I am at a loss of what the problem could be. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated as my landlords are currently out of town and I would love some air flow in my warm flat!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-15, 12:15 PM
Group Moderator
You should never touch electric if you aren't licensed and don't own it. The liability is to great and then there is possible legal issues.

Buy a cheap box fan and set it in a window or better since fans don't coo buy a window A/C if your apartments electrical is adequate.

Old 05-19-15, 01:04 PM
The wiring harness is plug-n-play, I'm not splicing wires or anything. My landlord told me I could do it also.

Old 05-19-15, 01:22 PM
Group Moderator
My landlord told me I could do it also.
Which he will deny in court.
The fan blades DO spin freely,
Probably a bad motor if you can't start it by spinning the blade but check the reversing switch first. Some times they vibrate to a half way point. If not the reversing switch best solution is a new fan. (Which becomes the landlords when you install it.)