looking for a SIMPLE T5 fluorescent dimmer...

Old 05-24-15, 11:37 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
looking for a SIMPLE T5 fluorescent dimmer...

I am pretty good in electrical work, both commercial and residential, but, I've run into something that really has me befuddled. Dimming simple T5 fluorescent fixtures. I have a job to build a shadowbox lighting system for a residence. I would have six Lithonia 4 foot, 2 lamp F54T5-HO fixtures on three separate circuits, each with a wall switch / dimmer. I have been looking for a simple self contained wall dimmer that would work with these fluorescent fixtures. I almost seems that all of the companies making dimmers and dimmable ballasts never considered that some small installation might come along. I have looked through catalogs and web sites until I want to scream! All I seem to have to do is to install $50K in modules and processors and build a computer annex on to the house and then I can dim a darned fluorescent light fixture. Oh there are great benefits to all of these systems. I can make the blinds go up and down, control the AC, probably make the toilets flush and the shingles flap, but, I just want to dim the blasted lights. The fixtures have OSRAM Quicktronic Ballasts in them,
(QHE 2x54T5HO/UNV PSN), and I expect that I will have to replace them.

Does anyone know of a simple wall dimmer and 2 lamp F54T5-HO ballast
combination on the market?

Dblknottspy,
Austin, Tx

Old 05-25-15, 04:50 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Would you consider changing the lights to LEDs?

Old 05-25-15, 06:04 AM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
In order to dim florescent lamps you need to install a dimmable ballast. DALI is one system that is commonly used. DALI Dimmable Ballasts

I agree with Pulpo though, I would change it all to LED strip tape. Lasts longer, runs cooler, and more color options. Just be sure to match the lumen output to the T5s.

Old 05-25-15, 12:17 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
To show you just how simple dimmable [not] is here is a typical circuit:

Name:  electronic_wiring_diagram-2.gif
Views: 6626
Size:  49.4 KB

Old 05-25-15, 04:16 PM
D
Pulpo: I love LEDs, but, pair of F54T5-HO lamps have an 8900, (initial), output. That's a lot of LEDs and they aren't cheap, either. I'm looking at six-2 lamp fixtures.

Ironhand: DALI's that EU standard. It's the one that I find so maddening. It's, basically, computer network controlled ballast system. You have to have special key pads or even touchscreen interfaces. Those feed into a distribution system that has to have a processor sitting on the bus to decode addresses and commands. The distribution can handle any number of zones each zone with up to 64 ballasts. You can get interface units to control just about anything. One system can handle an entire office block. It's hard to convince someone to pay for it to dim the lights in the living room of a middle class residence, though.

Ray: That's one of the reverse phase dimmer / ballast combinations, isn't it? I would happily settle for that, if I could find a ballast for 2-F54T5-HO lamps and would fit into 1.75" x 1.25" cross section fixture. Do you know of one?

Dblknottspy,
Austin, Tx

Old 05-25-15, 04:23 PM
That's one of the reverse phase dimmer / ballast combinations, isn't it?
I can post over my head but I can't answer questions over my head. I just copied that off the net.

Old 05-26-15, 07:04 AM
D
Thanks all...

Thanks to everyone. I think I found what I needed. Special thanks to you, Ray. It was your schematic that turned out to give me the answer. I looked up that dimmer in your drawing and was able to backtrack it to a matching ballast. Lutron has a 3-wire dimming ballast for 2 T5-HO lamps. FYI: 3-wire fluorescent dimmer control: AYF-103P, ballast: EC5T554JUNV2.
What is more, I was able to go out on Ebay and find 3 dimmer controls and 7 ballasts for $277. That's less that the retail price for a single ballast.

Thanks all,
dblknottspy
Austin, Tx

Old 05-26-15, 07:26 AM
Glad we could help. Thanks for letting us know.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: