120 volt walk way fixtures

Old 05-26-15, 01:42 PM
120 volt walk way fixtures

Hi All, I will be installing 7 walk way fixtures each mounted on a Bell box with 1/2" PVC stubbed up from underneath,I am looking for thoughts on the best way to anchor these pipes to keep the fixtures straight,I am thinking about pouring concrete around the pipes.
Thoughts
Geo

Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-15, 03:48 PM
Group Moderator
1/2" PVC cannot support the light or box, it is also a code violation. Boxes may not be supported solely by conduit except ones listed for that purpose, or exceptions in 314.23. It should be attached to something more substantial like a 4x4, rigid pipe with a box support, or use one of these: Arlington | Gard-N-Postâ„¢ PVC will break at some point. I have seen it many times.

Last edited by Tolyn Ironhand; 05-26-15 at 04:53 PM.
Old 05-26-15, 03:59 PM
I would rather that you use at least IMC for the stub-ups, RMC would be even better. If you must use PVC then go with schedule 80 as schedule 40 will shatter from a string trimmer under certain conditions.

Will this be a complete conduit job underground or will you be using UF? The concrete around the stub-up is a good idea if the boxes won't have any other support.

If it is a complete conduit job then the stub-ups should be threaded into a double hub box and the underground ends bent 90[SUP]o[/SUP] to fit the rest of the conduit. Schedule 40 PVC underground is fine. Having the stub-ups bent 180o from each other you could then add a piece of scrap IMC/RMC at 90[SUP]o[/SUP] (making a tee shape) and probably not need the concrete.

Old 05-26-15, 05:21 PM
I have since checked the RAB web site and they make a cap that will fix over 2 1/2" PVC it has a 1/2" threaded hub in the top designed to mount the 3 Tier lawn fixture,it's made of AL. I think I will be able to stub the 1/2" PVC's up into it and it is designed to make the splices up inside it.keeping the Hub flush with grade I think it should be fine, I will set the 2 1/2" in concrete.
Thanks Tolyn for the code article.
http://www.amazon.com/RAB-Lighting-M.../dp/B000VTV4BO
Geo

Last edited by Geochurchi; 05-26-15 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Add a link