Large hole instead of box in ceiling

Old 05-31-15, 10:12 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Large hole instead of box in ceiling

Finally got tired of flickering old fluorescent lights in the soffit in my bathroom. Wanted to replace them with LED flush mounts. The old light was a bear to get down (it was mounted with mile-long toggle bolts), and on top of it all, instead of a ceiling box, there is a large hole about 7.5" in diameter. I think my new fixture will cover that hole (it's base is 8.5" inside the rim), but there is no way to mount the new light to the ceiling, at least not that I can see. The only thing I can think of to do is screw the new base directly to the sheetrock, if there is enough around the hole to do that. Would that be advisable? We're on our way to remodeling this bathroom, so just need a short term fix, but preferably one that is visually not too ugly. ThanksName:  BathroomHole.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  19.6 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-15, 10:18 AM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
You need a box in most case to meet code. That means patch the Sheetrock and install a box is the usual fix. The only other way is to use a fixture that is rated for connection in its base that is large enough to cover the hole. A fluorescent light would fit the bill. Since it is temporary like it or not that may be your solution.

Old 05-31-15, 11:31 AM
Can you please elaborate or give me an example of:

The only other way is to use a fixture that is rated for connection in its base that is large enough to cover the hole.

Thanks!

Old 05-31-15, 11:42 AM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I did. A fluorescent light.

Old 05-31-15, 01:07 PM
Just came from Lowe's and Home Depot. Neither carries a fluorescent fixture that will fit, and Home Depot seems to be getting rid of most of their fluorescents altogether. I thought about recessed LED, but that too will require a box. I checked out recessed can lighting, the kind that have their own box, but they are too small for this 7.5" hole. I can't imagine what was installed there for a hole like that.

Will patching be a bear, too?

Old 05-31-15, 06:23 PM
Received 17 Votes on 17 Posts
Can you relocate that fixture to one side of that hole,if so cut a round old work in and patch the hole,it's not that difficult to patch,cut a couple pieces of strapping or similar wood long enough to span the hole,screw it in place with some drywall screws then screw a piece of drywall cut to fit the hole to that strapping,tape and mud it and your done until the remodel .
Thomas & Betts BH614R Ceiling Box-RND OLD WORK CEILING BOX - Walmart.com
Geo

Old 06-01-15, 06:38 AM
That is a great idea, Geo. Perhaps, instead of two fixtures, I could put in one long one from the center, patching both holes on the sides (assuming the other fixture also has a large hole behind it. The only proviso would be if the current wiring will go all the way to the center. If not, then I could go back to having two fixtures, just off to the side of the current location. Thanks!

Old 06-01-15, 06:58 AM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
If you want to keep it one fixture, I suggest installing a remodel fan box with an expanding bracket like this: Westinghouse 21.5 cu. in. Saf-T-Brace-0140000 - The Home Depot You should not have to repair the drywall then.