Wiring a 3-way chandelier to a light switch

Old 06-02-15, 11:25 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiring a 3-way chandelier to a light switch

Hi guys I tried to search the forum for this before posting but 3-way seems to mean different things. One meaning is having 2 switches control the same light like a hallway light at the top and bottom of stairs.

But what I am dealing with is this - I have a chandelier with 11 bulbs in it that is a 3-way - you can light some, more, or all the bulbs. The electrician put it in and the switch it is connected to, every time I turn it off and on more of the lights come on. So if I want ALL of them on I have to turn it off/on 3x.

Is there a switch I can have installed to where I can SELECT how much of the lights turn on in ONE shot? Instead of having to turn it off/on again. It is a gorgous ceiling fixture and has a remote, but that is a little much for a bathroom!!! Nobody wants to use the remote, we just want to hit a switch for the amount of light we want.

Thanks for any help that can be provided. I don't know what to ask for at Home Depot!!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-15, 12:33 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
If the switch the electrician installed is a standard switch then it sounds like there is a module at the chandler that will need to be by passed. You'll need to remove the chandler to check that.

Old 06-02-15, 12:57 PM
thanks but....

So if they bypass something on the chandelier will it default to ALL ON or...? Would like to have the option to have the right light level option with one click instead of 3 (like maybe 3 switches together and you pick the top bottom or middle one to get the right light level)?

Old 06-02-15, 02:00 PM
Would like to have the option to have the right light level option with one click instead of 3 (like maybe 3 switches together and you pick the top bottom or middle one to get the right light level)?
All on on a dimmer if this isn't an LED light would be easiest. Triple switch is possible but new cable to the switch would be required.

Old 06-02-15, 02:22 PM
Dimmer - that's brilliant - thank you so much!

Old 06-02-15, 04:35 PM
But the dimmer won't fix the problem of selective number of lights coming on. That needs to be changed at the light. A dimmer might even cause the module to cycle through the steps or light not work.