craftmade ceiling fan winding wire color question

Old 06-08-15, 06:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
craftmade ceiling fan winding wire color question

The receiver unit on my craftmade fan is acting intermittanty, changing speeds and turnning the lights on in the middle of the night. switching dip switch settings changes nothing. I only use the low speed so I propose to wire it on/off only in the low speed setting. I have a soldering iron and the skills to desolder the caps.

So, The fan has four wires to the windings (brown, red orange & yellow). I checked continuity and determined that i have two separate windings without continuity between them.

brown & red = winding 1
orange & yellow = winding 2

Are these windings interchangable? Please set me straight if I'm wrong but I imagine that one of those winding will determine the direction by reversing polarity. The other will need to be wired with a cap I suppose but the speed is still a question for me.

Can someone please explain this or direct me to a wiring diagram?

Thanks

Last edited by dcmeigs; 06-08-15 at 07:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-15, 08:09 PM
I've thought more about this and want to refine the question. I think the two windings are wired in parallel with one winding having a cap in series for phase delay.

Is that correct? Are the two windings interchangable or do I need to identify them.

Old 06-08-15, 10:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 510 Votes on 480 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I checked continuity and determined that i have two separate windings without continuity between them
Now you are saying the windings are in parallel.
That would mean you measure continuity between the two windings..... is that correct ?

You aren't going to find any wiring diagrams or schematics because they just weren't produced.

Old 06-09-15, 12:32 AM
No, I'm afraid my poorly writen second post has mislead you. I should have said that I think the two sets of windings SHOULD BE (not are) wired in series.

After I wrote that post, I tried an experiment. I wired the two windings in parallel with the capacitor (5uf) in series with one of the windings. It operated at a nice speed but had a bit of a hum. I then put the cap in series with the other winding (without changing the neutrals) and it ran backwards at a very high speed. I get that placing the phase shift on the other winding could make it run backwards but the high speed is a surprise. I'd expect more capacitance would be required for a faster speed.

Edit: Unless the winding resistance was different between the two windings. That might acount for the difference in speed.