Installed Hunter Dimmer Switch but having issues with lights

Old 06-15-15, 06:14 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Installed Hunter Dimmer Switch but having issues with lights

Recently relocated a fan from over our kitchen table to our kids' play area. That box had the additional wire so we bought a Hunter dimmer switch so that we could control fan speed and/of lights from the wall instead of the pull cords. Had issues from the start because of wire colors but had it working or so I thought. So here's the issue that I can't seem to work out:

When the fan is set to 3 (highest speed) on the dimmer switch, the lights are fully dimmable and functional. But when we turn the fan speed down to 2 or 1, the max brightness of the lights decrease dramatically. When the fan is turned off at the dimmer switch, the lights are completely inoperable.

I am hopeful I am missing something obvious in my wiring. The Hunter wall switch has a green ground, a red, a black and a blue. The Fan has a black, a blue, a white and a green. The box (and this is where I get a little fuzzy) has a previously capped and unused red, two blacks and a green.

I've tried different combinations based on trial and error and some research. From the fan to the box I am currently wired one of blacks to white, green to green, red to blue and black to the second black. The back of the Hunter switch does not identify the wire labels and the instructions are pretty lousy.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Old 06-15-15, 06:37 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
The box (and this is where I get a little fuzzy) has a previously capped and unused red, two blacks and a green
That sounds like you have conduit not cable. Is that correct?

Old 06-15-15, 06:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,046 Upvotes on 3,630 Posts
Is there no white wire at the fan ?

Name:  hunter.png
Views: 10744
Size:  29.4 KB

Old 06-16-15, 05:13 PM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion and diagram. I ended up disconnecting everything up top in the fan harness and pulled out all the wire bundles in the wall (including another light switch). Up top I went green/green, white/white, black/black (all pretty obvious) and blue from the fan to red in the ceiling. Then I took to the dimmer switch and did the obvious green/green. I was left with black, blue and red from the dimmer so I went black to black, red to red and blue back to the power in black and everything is functioning like normal. Sorry if I've butchered some of this or shown myself to be even further out of my league. I'm just happy the lights are dimmable and the fan is operating correctly.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: