Ceiling fan with light 3 way

Old 06-26-15, 08:30 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ceiling fan with light 3 way

Hello. Kinda lost here. Box has black red capped together. Whites together. Purpl by itself. Then I assume switches are the 2 orange yellow together separately with 2 caps so all 4 not connected just 2 twisted together .How do I wire ceiling fans blu black white? Any help wood be appreciated.

Old 06-26-15, 08:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,152 Upvotes on 3,729 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I assume switches are the 2 orange yellow together separately with 2 caps so all 4 not connected just 2 twisted together
Gary.... I read that three times. It sounds like a riddle. Can you clarify a little bit ?

Old 06-26-15, 08:43 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
After you write a better explanation please let us know if this is wire in conduit? Is this an apartment? Do you own it?

To explain it better tell us about the wires at each switch, how they are connected, and what wire is connected to the common terminal (odd colored screw usually dark gray). At the light tell us all the wires and how they are connected.

Old 06-27-15, 05:02 AM
G
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sorry. It's a home. Not sure if use the orange & yellow wire or just leave th capped together. Do I connect these to my fan wires?

Old 06-27-15, 07:54 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Are the wires in conduit?

Old 06-27-15, 11:39 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I think the poster is in the Chicago area so probably conduit.

Gary, most single family residences are wired with cable. Some of the colors you have are not found in cables. That is why we are asking cable or conduit.
How do I wire ceiling fans blue black white?
If there was a light there before the blue and black go to the same wire the black of the light went to. The white of the fan goes to the same white the light of the light went to.

A problem you may have though is the box may not be fan rated. If it isn't changing it is very difficult if you have conduit. Also if you want separate switches for fan and light you may need to pull a new wire.

Name:  fan_rated_box.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  29.7 KB

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: