Adding New Line for Ceiling Fan (no existing power)

Old 06-27-15, 09:12 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Adding New Line for Ceiling Fan (no existing power)

Hi all,

I have a bedroom with a lights witch that controls an electrical outlet. Rather than fish romex through the wall (it is in a touch location for my skill level and not located in convenient location as you enter the room), I added a new light switch and ran 12/3 to the attic. I will keep the other switch attached to the outlet (to run a lamp or whatever). In the attic I have a 12/2 romex line that feeds the the other outlets in the room below, and I have already installed the ceiling fan box/brace in the ceiling.

Can I kill power, cut the romex in the attic, add a J-box, then splice in a separate line to feed the ceiling fan box, then run the 12/3 form the new switch into the box as well? Is this correct? Thanks in advance....

Old 06-28-15, 08:31 AM
Welcome.

Here's the steps to take:

First, ensure the source power cable you cut has enough slack to reconnect the wires, having at least 6" of all wires extending out of the J box.

Run 2 new cables.
1 2 conductor cable from the J box mentioned above to switch box.
1 3 conductor cable from switch box to fan box.

Your source power, the 2 conductor cable, will now be at switch box.

Connect neutrals at switch box.
Use source hot to feed the switch(s).

Old 06-28-15, 12:16 PM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
OK,12/3 from the new switch to attic into the fan box,shut off power cut existing cable,more than likely you will need 2 J boxes with a jumper between, unless cable has slack,run new a 2 wire cable into fan box, White from the 2 wire to fan White ,Black from 2 wire connects to Black of 3 wire to switch ,Red from switch to Black of fan.if you intended to control fan and light separately you would need to have a 4 wire cable to the switch location as a neutral is required,to be code compliant.
Geo

Old 06-28-15, 03:19 PM
T
Thanks guys, I followed hanyone's advice and ran a second line to the switch, and added two j-boxes in attic. I now have a line from fan to switch, and switch to J-box. everything is working great.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: