Wiring CFL Ballast

Old 06-29-15, 11:13 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wiring CFL Ballast

Good Day Guys and Gals,

I have a few Phillips HF-R TF TL5 Ballasts as seen in the image below

I am having some difficulty wiring these up and would like some professional advice.

First question, the IDC connector shown below, what gauge wire is advisable to use with it, the diameter I am using doesn't fit well and stretches out the plastic tabs, also solid core or stranded wire?

The wiring diagram to the left in the image below shows two insertion methods. Am I correct in saying that the lower ADS/Manual connection is for solid core wire and the IDC for stranded?

does the IDC connector use a special punch down tool or just some force with a screwdriver.

The wiring labels for the AC side of the ballast don't specify neutral/live terminals, is there an preferred orientation or can they go either way?

Lastly but not least the 2G11 sockets that hold the bulbs, they also appear to have a positive friction push fit connector for the wiring, what gauge wire is safest to use?

The two smaller holes appear to hold the cable and the longer rectangular opening is used to release the cables.

I am running 80w and 55w bulbs, the 80w bulbs draw 0.38amp would I be safe with 1.0mm equipment 1kV at 0.5A @ 70C?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by modgod; 06-29-15 at 11:38 AM.
Old 06-29-15, 12:56 PM
M
I had a message in this post, was it deleted?

Old 06-29-15, 04:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,154 Upvotes on 3,730 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The DIY board puts a new members thread in moderation if they post more than five pictures in one post before they have several posts posted. It's part of the spam control system. It has been approved and you should see it now.

Old 06-29-15, 06:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 916 Upvotes on 774 Posts
I have not wired this type of ballast, but it appears to fairly similar to the ballasts we use with the exception that our ballasts are pre-wired.

Looking at the IDC connector, it appears to me that the top part is for installing with a punch down tool without stripping the wire. The manual bottom section appears to be where you would just strip the wire and push it in. Wire size is listed on the label .5-1.0mm

would I be safe with 1.0mm equipment 1kV at 0.5A @ 70C?
I'm not sure what you are asking.

Old 06-29-15, 07:30 PM
Group Moderator
1.0mm wire appears to be #18awg which is what our fluorescent fixtures would be wired with.
Those push in connectors could use an insertion tool or what I've seen is you put all the wire in the right place and then use a snap in plastic block that pushes and locks the wires into the clips.

Similar to the picture below.....

Name:  idc.jpg
Views: 702
Size:  3.9 KB

Old 06-29-15, 07:34 PM
Group Moderator
I think our ballast wire might be closer to 20ga. 18ga stat wire seems to be a little larger then ballast wire, although I never really measured it.

Old 06-29-15, 07:43 PM
Group Moderator
Actually, you could be right. Those IDC connectors also work better with solid wire too.

Old 06-30-15, 01:35 AM
M
In regards to the wiring of the AC side, one pin is clearly labelled with the earth sign but the other two only have AC voltage sign that looks like a wavy line.

Can I place the blue and brown live and neutral wires in either of these connectors, does the orientation matter?

Tolyn Ironhand
I have not wired this type of ballast, but it appears to fairly similar to the ballasts we use with the exception that our ballasts are pre-wired.

Looking at the IDC connector, it appears to me that the top part is for installing with a punch down tool without stripping the wire. The manual bottom section appears to be where you would just strip the wire and push it in. Wire size is listed on the label .5-1.0mm

would I be safe with 1.0mm equipment 1kV at 0.5A @ 70C?
I'm not sure what you are asking.
lol I was a little unclear, would I be safe with 1.0mm solid core equipment wire rated at 1kv at 0.5a, I'm guessing it will be ok seeing as the ballast specifies 0.5-1.0mm

Those push in connectors could use an insertion tool or what I've seen is you put all the wire in the right place and then use a snap in plastic block that pushes and locks the wires into the clips.
Any idea where I can get the punchdown tool or what its called, I have a punchdown tool for telecoms jacks but it doesn't fit this connector.

Old 06-30-15, 03:54 AM
Group Moderator
Can I place the blue and brown live and neutral wires in either of these connectors, does the orientation matter?
Yes. It shouldn't matter for AC wiring. (The wavy line)

would I be safe with 1.0mm solid core equipment wire rated at 1kv at 0.5a
Yes. Wire with a 1000 volt insulation rating should work well. IIRC ballast run about 750 volts on the secondary.

Any idea where I can get the punchdown tool or what its called, I have a punchdown tool for telecoms jacks but it doesn't fit this connector
A telecom punch down tool was what I was thinking you could use, perhaps you can get a different end to fit yours. Although I would just strip the wires and use the push in manual section of the connector.

Old 06-30-15, 11:35 AM
M
I got some single core bell wire 0.6mm, this fits perfectly in the IDC connectors,
The ballast is still not being powered on, I suspect the AC side is having an issue again due to the diameter of the cable not fitting the IDC connector properley.

Can I use the bell wire on the AC side of the ballast? I am assuming not, I think the bell wire would go up in smoke if used for mains.

if the ballst specified 0.5-1.0mm wire for the lamp side then what gauge is to be for the AC side?

Old 06-30-15, 12:03 PM
M
here is the wire specifications of the bell wire I purchased -

[ATTACH=CONFIG]52668[/ATTACH]

Attached Images  
Old 06-30-15, 01:50 PM
Group Moderator
Can I use the bell wire on the AC side of the ballast?
Yes you can. Ballast in the US have about 3' leads of the same type/size as the other wires from the ballast. We just connect them to our building wire. They would be considered fixture wires by the NEC and are only carrying the current of the fixture. You might want to check your codes in the UK but I suspect they are similar to ours.

Old 07-01-15, 04:23 PM
M
Hi Tolyn,

Thanks for the great advice so far, I have successfully got the ballasts up and running,
Another question I would appreciate an answer to is whether its possible to wire these ballasts in parallel so that I can hook them up to one plug socket, if so what amperage fuse is recommended, total wattage of bulbs = 300w assuming 1amp per 200w a 3amp fuse would be ok?

As a general rule what could happen if I used a much higher rated fuse e.g. 13amp with a lower power appliance 100-200w does it just increase the chance that the device can be damaged during a surge?

Old 07-01-15, 09:07 PM
Group Moderator
Adding a protection device is a good idea but you aren't protecting the ballasts..... you're protecting the wiring. The ballasts are internally protected.

You can parallel ballasts on one power cord.

Based on the wire size you are using to feed the ballasts a 3A-5A fuse would be fine especially as we are basing this on 230v.

Old 07-02-15, 03:18 PM
M
When wiring up multiple lights is it ok to run the cables next to one another, I read that wires should have a minimum distance apart, what negative affect if any will I experience if I run 12 of the solid core wires bundled together, that is 4 wires from each 2G11 socket

The wires will be 1.5-2m in length, is there a minimum distance that they should be kept apart?

Old 07-02-15, 04:21 PM
Group Moderator
That's a tough question to answer. Normally, the wiring in a fluorescent fixture is not bundled at all.

Are you installing these in some type of metal box ?
Ballast lamp wiring is not usually exposed. It's usually contained within a fixture.

Old 07-03-15, 01:56 AM
M
You could consider the lighting to be modular, this is being wired up for an aquarium and it needs to be moved between tanks as the requirement for light increases/decreases during the growth cycles of the tanks flora and fauna.

What would happen to the wires if they run side by side, I'm guessing a magnetic field is produced around these wires when they're live, do they interfere with one another.

Is it a fire hazard or merely a chance that the life/efficiency of the light will be reduced?

I could fairly easily design it so that the wires run a set distance apart all along their length and for example aren't all zip tied together in a bundle, but what I want reassurance about is that if the wires happen to cross over once or twice along the length before they get back to the ballast that its not going to cause catastrophic failure in future.

edit -

the ballasts will be mounted remotely in a box with a fan to keep them cool, the wiring from ballasts will run to the bulbs at floor height for 1m before entering the top of the aquarium hood where the 2G11 sockets sit

Old 07-03-15, 04:13 AM
Group Moderator
What would happen to the wires if they run side by side, I'm guessing a magnetic field is produced around these wires when they're live, do they interfere with one another.
It is fine with standard voltage wires to run in a group and do not interfere with each other. They will not cause any reduction in fixture life, and only cause a fire hazard when many (more then 9) are grouped in a conduit or similar installation. Standard voltage and low voltage (IE: phone and data) should not be run together.

Old 07-03-15, 06:56 AM
M
are the wires from the ballast to bulbs considered standard voltage?

Don't the wires get about 750v put through them?

edit -

sorry but I didn't understand, you weren't clear whether or not the wires carrying voltage to the lights themselves are classed as standard voltage

Old 07-03-15, 09:37 AM
Group Moderator
Everything higher then 50 volts is considered standard voltage, or high voltage. Neither will cause any ill effects to the wires, lamps, fixtures, etc.

Old 07-04-15, 01:49 PM
M
could you give me a basic wiring diagram for hooking up the ballasts in parallel, I'm having some difficulty applying a parallel wiring diagram when hooking up the actual wires.

Old 07-04-15, 07:38 PM
M
I've wired the ballasts up separately as I could figure out the parallel wiring setup.

As it is now I have 3 core wire from socket to AC side of Ballast, if I want to add another ballast to this same circuit do I just jumper the earths, neutrals and lives of the three ballasts together respectively.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: