Fluorescent light problem

Old 07-02-15, 06:02 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Fluorescent light problem

I have two 2 bulb fluorescent ceiling lights in my laundry room. They are operated by two wall switches at either end of the room and both lights used to turn on & off from either switch. Now, only one light fixture comes on and the other stays dark. The lighting varies, sometimes one light comes on and sometimes the other light comes on while the other does not. The bulbs do not flicker when they come on.
Do you think it is a ballast problem, wall switch problem or something else?
Appreciate your advise.
Bill

Old 07-02-15, 06:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 907 Upvotes on 765 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

You didn't say if these are T8 or T12 fixtures so I will assume T12 (1 1/2" diam lamps). It is likely not a switch issue, if it was they wouldn't work at all.

Do the ends of the lamps look dark? Do you have another fixture to try them in? It could just be the lamps. You could try a new set of them. If it is the ballast failing you might be better off buying a new T8 fixture, or changing the existing fixture to T8's.

Old 07-02-15, 06:59 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I would look at the 3 way switches first. Use a tester or a multimeter.

Old 07-02-15, 07:05 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
No indication it is the switches and if power doesn't come in at the switch nothing to really test. A multimeter would be useful but a tester would depend on what kind. Non contact testers aren't useful for real testing but a neon test light or solenoid tester could be useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: