Ceiling Fan - so many questions......

Old 07-02-15, 11:41 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ceiling Fan - so many questions......

I purchased a new ceiling fan today to replace an old one that was installed when I moved in.

When I removed the old fan, I was surprised to see two things.
First, there were only two wires in the ceiling, no ground wire.

But, even more curious was that it seems like there is no electric box, and the "hole" did not open up into the attic (where you can see the joists, etc.), but rather just a small space (about the size of an electrical box).

It almost seems as if there is an electrical box there that was filled/covered with plaster.
is that possible?
(a photo is below)

Name:  FullSizeRender (3).jpg
Views: 234
Size:  28.5 KB

as you can (kind of) see, there are two bolts coming down from the ceiling (it kind of looks like there is only one in the photo, but there are two).
These bolts are very secure and attached to something (not just screwed through the plaster).
The fan came with a hanger bracket, which will connect to the two bolts, and "hold" the fan (it is almost identical to the one I removed that was holding the old fan)
There is also definitely some metal around the inside edge of the hole in the ceiling. It almost seems as if it is a round electrical box (is there such a thing)?

So, I just have no idea what is going on up in there.
My two concerns are:

(1) will it hold? I'm actually not as concerned about this, because like I said, there was a fan of equal weight there for years before I removed it with no issues.

(2) will it be grounded? and if not, will that be an issue?

the fan itself has a ground wire coming out of it, and the hanger bracket has a ground wire attached to it. I can connect these two wires, but is it actually grounded?
I'm assuming that, in theory, the electrical box would be grounded, and when I attach the hanger bracket to it, the hanger bracket becomes grounded, and when I connect the ground wire on the hanger bracket to the ground wire on the fan, the fan is grounded.

But, since I'm not even sure if there is an electrical box up there at all, I have no idea if it is grounded or not.

So....
Does that look like an electrical box filled with plaster?
if so, what are the chances it is grounded?
if it isn't grounded, and I cut power when installing, and only use the remote to control the fan, what are the chances I will have an issue?

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-03-15, 12:11 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
The hanger shown appears to be for a light not a fan. Do you have cable or conduit? The absence of a black wire and the fact you are in Los Angels seems to indicate that. Is this an apartment or house.

O/T: Why did you put New York as your state?

Old 07-03-15, 12:19 AM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I am based in NY, but this is for my apartment in LA.
This hanger bracket came with the fan and connects to the bolts from the ceiling.
At least that is how the previous fan was installed.

Name:  IMG_4842.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  27.4 KB

Old 07-03-15, 01:38 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Is the picture your new fan? Do you own the apartment?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: