Recessed Lighting Not Turning On

Old 07-05-15, 05:53 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Recessed Lighting Not Turning On

Hello all,

I'm hoping you could help me with a little issue I'm having. I'm in the process of finishing the basement. I am putting in my circuits and for one of the circuits, I ran 14-2 wire from the breaker to the outlets and then to a switch and then on to the recessed lighting. I bought the 6" recessed lighting fixtures that they sell at Home Depot that have the quick connects, which are nice. Anyway, when I turn on the breaker and the switch, my tester says all my wires are hot yet the lights won't turn on. So I can't figure out if I'm getting power to all the fixtures why the lights won't turn on.

Thanks.

Old 07-05-15, 06:55 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Welcome to the forums! You only break the hot wire at the switch. The neutral continues all the way through your lighting chain. Confirm if that is what you have.o

Old 07-05-15, 08:08 AM
D
Thanks! At the switch, I have the two hot wires around the screws on the switch, I wire nutted the ground wires together and pigtailed a ground wire to the switch and then I wire nutted the neutrals together.

Old 07-05-15, 08:37 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Do the receptacles work?
You will need to check your wire nut connections. 2 #14 wires should be connected with a yellow wire nut. Check connections to make sure the wire insulation did not get pulled up too far into nut, causing loss of connection.

Last edited by ray2047; 07-05-15 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Posted to wrong place,
Old 07-05-15, 11:03 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
my tester says all my wires are hot
If it is a non contact tester it is too unreliable to give a useful result. You need to use a multimeter, preferably analog (or a neon test light or a solenoid tester).

If the receptacles or switch were wired using the back stabs move the wires to the screws. Back stabs can be unreliable,

Old 07-05-15, 11:13 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Combining all the responses, I suggest you check all the neutrals from the beginning to end, on each receptacle especially. Your non contact tester will detect the presence of current, but will not be helpful to a broken or mis placed neutral. That is where the multimeter will come in handy.

Old 07-07-15, 04:45 PM
D
Thank you all for your input. I apologize for not replying sooner but due to the holiday, I hadn't had a chance to get back down there and check it out. Good news - I found the issue. I had wire-nutted all the connections for the receptacles since I haven't done drywall yet and it turns out in one of those wire nuts, one of the neutral had broken off. Once I fixed that, it worked! Thanks again!

Old 07-07-15, 05:42 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Good detective work. Thanks for letting us know.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: