Fulham Electronic Ballast Question (Conflicting Specs)

Old 07-07-15, 04:05 PM
Received 84 Upvotes on 79 Posts
Fulham Electronic Ballast Question (Conflicting Specs)

I bought a Fulham Racehorse RHA-UNV-254-LT5 electronic ballast for a light box that uses two FT36W/2G11 lamps (Also know by the Philips name of "PL-L")

The picture in the listing states that in can run those type of lamps, however the one I received only says FT50 or FT55. I wired it up anyway and it is working fine and the input current (Measured by a P3 Kill-a-Watt) is right on target with the spec sheet for the revision of the specs that used to list the FT36 (A PDF file that I saved a while ago)

I searched the model number on the Fulham website and even it only lists FT50 and FT55

I am confused as to why the FT36 was removed? It seems to doing fine (Temperature wise and input current as per the old spec sheet) and the lamps seem happy and don't look over-driven so is this a reason to be worried or is this fine?

PS: I only replaced the ballast as I absolutely hate instant start fluorescent lamps and I was told Fulham is a good brand

I attached a picture of the ballast label from the eBay listing and the old spec sheet

Thanks

Attached Images    
Old 07-11-15, 08:21 AM
Received 188 Upvotes on 168 Posts
I was told Fulham is a good brand
hahahahahahahaha!!!! That's a good one! Who told you that, a manufacturer's rep? I have run into this unethical importer several times, but not in the last 6 or 7 years. The best thing you can do is return it to where ever you bought it and find a ballast from a good manufacturer.

Old 07-11-15, 09:42 AM
Group Moderator
Received 4,115 Upvotes on 3,695 Posts
I've been in this business for many years and I have never heard of this ballast company until I read this thread and did some research.

I'm a little confused Joe. Although I couldn't find many reviews on what I consider to be a relatively obscure company.... I couldn't find a single negative comment or complaint.

Am I missing something ?

Old 07-12-15, 12:07 PM
Received 84 Upvotes on 79 Posts
What is wrong with Fulham? I have heard nothing but good things about the Workhorse series. Although I purchased a model from the Racehorse series
Anyway I asked a question on a forum that deals with Fulham products and they said it would be fine

Old 07-12-15, 01:48 PM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
I have used Fulham for years and have never had a problem,they tend to mfg. What I call speciality products, if you are still concerned contact there CS and discuss your concern.
Geo

Old 07-13-15, 08:04 AM
Received 188 Upvotes on 168 Posts
Although I couldn't find many reviews on what I consider to be a relatively obscure company.... I couldn't find a single negative comment or complaint.

Am I missing something ?
I had a friend who ran into a Fulham Workhorse ballast that was OEM in a Lightolier small pendant fixture probably about 8 or 9 years ago (before Philips bought Lightolier) and couldn't find a replacement ballast. I checked with my sources and found no one locally had ever heard of them. Only after calling the company did I find that Rexel was a distributor. I checked with Rexel locally and two people I have dealt with for years had never heard of Fulham Workhorse. Anyway, after doing some research they found that one Rexel location in Florida did stock a few and they had the needed ballast in stock. Gave the info to my friend and I forgot about it till he called me back several days later and told me the new ballast was bad. Rexel had one more of the same catalog number in stock and shipped it right away. By this time my friend had several hours tied up in this service call that he couldn't bill and he had to pay his electrician on the job. The little job was finally done so this time I called Fulham back and they told me, no problem, they would cover the cost of labor at $10 per ballast. At that time on this planet hourly cost was over $50 per hour, the $10 offer was just ridiculous, but we took them up on it and followed their instructions to at least get the $10. Bottom line was they never even paid the $10. Two more calls to Fulham and two more promises to pay the $10 and that was it, they never paid it. I decided at that time that I would never trust Fulham again. Luckily there are several other companies that now make the compact electronic ballasts that will replace the Fulham crap.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: