Need to exhaust hot basement air in my restuarant... not sure how...

Old 07-10-15, 12:48 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need to exhaust hot basement air in my restuarant... not sure how...

I have a restaurant and I have about 7-8 different cooler compressors running in the basement. The overall temp of the basement is HOT. There are two vaulted staircases going down at opposite ends of the basement, in which I was going to put powerful exhaust vents pushing air out through the roof. The issue is I don't exactly have a location to bring in any fresh air... and I've been brainstorming but not much.. I can pull some air from above in the dining area, but not a ton. Do I need to have equal fresh air brought in?

Unless I set one end to draw in from the roof, one end to push out. Yet I don't know if drawing in from the roof is a good idea, and the distance is a good 60+ feet apart..

Old 07-10-15, 01:02 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,288 Upvotes on 1,226 Posts
Do I need to have equal fresh air brought in?
Yes.

Without being there, I would think one stairwell would need to be exhaust and the other intake for the basement.

Is there a way to exhaust directly to the outside - do you have an outside wall on the basement with access to above-ground level?

Old 07-10-15, 05:41 PM
A
Received 294 Upvotes on 269 Posts
Simply pulling in air from the dining room is not going to work. There must be yet other makeup air entering the dining room to accomplish this.

And you don't want to use air-conditioned dining room air to ventilate the basement with. Rather you need to bring makeup air directly from the outside into the basement to take away the heat from the compressors.

Do you have a door from the basement to the outside. You might put a louver in the door to admit outside air. A door louver to admit air together with a duct to the roof for exhaust will work nicely.

More fresh air intake is needed if you have gas appliances, gas water heater, etc.

Old 07-10-15, 06:03 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Often with commercial refrigeration units the condensers are placed outside. Is that not possible with yours?

Old 07-10-15, 09:29 PM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the responses!

I've attached an image of my setup

Name:  basement.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  25.4 KB

Unfortunately the basement ceiling is all 1 foot below grade, so there's no easy way to pull or push to the outside. The only solution I thought of is to vent through the roof (in the vaulted stairwells). Yes one stairwell goes to the outside. I could turn that into a vented louver door, and the other stairwell (going up to the kitchen) an exhaust through the roof, but isn't that quite far away?
Would it effectively draw in air all the way from the other end of the winding basement like that?

Old 07-11-15, 06:21 AM
A
Received 294 Upvotes on 269 Posts
The exhaust should be "powered" i.e. using a fan.

If the intake is ducted from afar, it, too, will need a fan.

A louver directly to the outside for intake should not need a fan.

Drawing makeup air all the way from a wall or door louver at the other end of the basement and through the main space (no duct) is fully effective. But just the crack under a solid closed door is not effective.

Normally, exhaust should be via duct beginning near or at the heat source (refrigerating compressors). You can get away without ducting from the smaller compressors, allowing general movement of air caused by the ducting from the larger compressors to take care of them.

At this time I am thinking that longer ducts from the larger compressors should not have louvers in them along their length although they may have other ducts starting at other heat sources and tapping in.

Depending on the season outside and heating/AC inside you might want thermostatic control for the exhaust fan(s). When it is "hot" inside the exhaust should cycle or run all night long.

Last edited by AllanJ; 07-11-15 at 06:38 AM.
Old 07-12-15, 04:52 PM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
Have you contacted an HVACR contractor, there maybe fire code violations where the stairwells are involved.
Geo

Old 07-12-15, 05:01 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
So you have already ruled out moving the condensers outside? You have talked to your refrigeration tech about this?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: