Replacing Recessed Light - Hole Too Large

Old 07-12-15, 09:46 AM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replacing Recessed Light - Hole Too Large

There is a recessed light in my family room that I am trying to replace. The housing is sagging out of the hole. I don't know who originally installed it, but it is one of the Halo remodel housings. I measured the diameter of the hole, and it is about 7.25". I know that the typical cut is in the 6.25-6.75" range. Two of the clips clips will not engage since there is not enough sheetrock.

If possible, I would like to find a solution that doesn't involve extensive sheetrock repair. I noticed that there is a joist to the left of the housing. It is about 1.25" away. One of my thoughts was that I could drill two screws through the remodel housing and attach it the joist. I could probably put a piece of wood between the housing and the joist, so that it is flush. Is this acceptable code-wise, and would it work? I also thought that perhaps I could suspend it across the joists using hanger bars. I know they sell fan kits (remodel style), where you can extend and secure the brace without ceiling/attic access. I cannot find anything similar for a recessed housing, as they all seem to require nails. After the housing is fastened properly, I was going to use one of those "goof patches" to correct the oversized hole.

Do either of these seem like a viable option? I appreciate any suggestions or advice.

Last edited by cai24; 07-12-15 at 10:04 AM.
Old 07-12-15, 10:08 AM
Group Moderator
Received 4,099 Upvotes on 3,682 Posts
I've used pieces of 1x2 to help in the mounting. You could lay a piece of 1x2 on the flat between the joist and the can. Then two small pieces on the other side of the can. You would use six screws to hold the 1x2's in place. Once the can is refastened..... the patching shouldn't be too hard.

Name:  repair.jpg
Views: 2205
Size:  5.9 KB

Old 07-12-15, 10:23 AM
Upvotes: 0
You often run into trouble with Halo clips. There are many ways to secure the housing without relying on clips, most covered already. I would suggest hot melt glue to secure the blocks to the topside of drywall.

If the trim kit doesn't cover the gaps, there's a wide variety of trim kits that will.

Old 07-12-15, 10:23 AM
C
Thanks for the response. I have a few questions, if you don't mind. The hole is 7.25" all the way around. Would I overlap two of the 1x2's to reduce the size of the hole? If I don't cover a portion of it, the clips won't engage/reach. Also, do you think screwing the left side of the housing into the joist is a bad idea? I could secure it with two screws. Thanks!

Old 07-12-15, 10:52 AM
C
If I use 1x2's, can I screw the recessed can into them instead of using the clips?

Old 07-12-15, 10:56 AM
Group Moderator
Received 4,099 Upvotes on 3,682 Posts
Yes.... the wood replaces the use of those clips.

Old 07-12-15, 10:57 AM
Upvotes: 0
Yes, that's the reason for adding the wood supports. You can screw through the can into the wood. With a sharp screw, you don't even need a pilot hole.
There are ways to provide additional support for the clamps, but it's more trouble than it's worth.

Old 07-12-15, 11:19 AM
C
This is probably a dumb question, but is hot melt glue the same as the tubular glue that you put into a hot glue gun? I just want to make sure that I am thinking of the correct product. Thanks again.

Old 07-12-15, 12:04 PM
Received 83 Upvotes on 78 Posts
Yep same stuff just make sure you don't place it too close to a hot light bulb/lamp as it will melt (Just as the name implys it melts when heated)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: